Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I thought it would be better suited here since it pertains to SC/TC builds / mods.

So I am trying to decide if I want to pursue a turbo or supercharge build, but I cant sacrifice any MPG preferably... From the GM specs it does not look promising when you look at the SS, 30 mpg out of a TC 2.0L as opposed to 37 mpg from the 2.2L N/A, but I wanted to get some input from you guys.

Have you guys actually seen your mpg go up or down with your forced induction builds?

I have heard conflicting statements, some say SC/TC increases mpg on cobalts, some say otherwise.:blink:

Maybe you guys can give me a solid answer =p

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
well I did not add an SC as it came with it but even with my mods and tune I still can get 37mpg or more. Around town if I am just taking it easy I can get 30-33mpg. If you stay out of the boost its pretty easy to get good mileage. probably easier with a turbo as it already lags(maybe not much depending) whereas its quite easy to boost with an SC cause its instant.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Forced induction will burn more fuel since you're adding more air. Turbos have better milage than superchargers though since the engine isn't using energy to turn the blower. you can get good milage if you stay out of boost, but I can tell you it is a pain to keep the urges down.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
your mpg will go down if you boost, no way of stopping it. At least turbo's use some of your wasted exhaust energy though...:D
and in addition, you'll be pounding the gas pedal much more frequently, which will also contribute to larger gas usage.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One argument I heard, is that you don't have to mash the pedal as much on lower powered and heavier cars to get up to speed if you have a SC/TC, thus saving fuel, is that true?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
One argument I heard, is that you don't have to mash the pedal as much on lower powered and heavier cars to get up to speed if you have a SC/TC, thus saving fuel, is that true?
Well, first off the car will be heavier a bit due to the turbo and it's components, compared to stock. Not by much, but still makes a small difference. As soon as the turbo kicks in, it forces more cold air into the cyliders, along with more fuel. So it may take less mashing of the pedal, but still more fuel going into cylinder so it works out to the same or more fuel fr the turbo compared to stock. And remember, when using forced induction, premium fuel is required, which is always more expensive as well.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Forced induction will burn more fuel since you're adding more air. Turbos have better milage than superchargers though since the engine isn't using energy to turn the blower. you can get good milage if you stay out of boost, but I can tell you it is a pain to keep the urges down.
Exactly.

No. You may not have to push the pedal down, but forced induction will not give you better mpg.

Here is how the forced induction thing works to make better mpg.

Say hypothetically you have a 2,000 lb car that you are going to power with a 2.2L N/A engine. You can get better mpg by using a 1.6L turbo motor instead of a 2.2, not because of the turbo, but because it's a 1.6L motor. Your fuel savings will come in at lower speeds when you are NOT using the turbo to make power, not "boosting" as they say.

Simply put you cannot get better mpg by adding a TC or SC to the same motor you already have. You have to remember the golden rule: Anything that makes more HP will NOT make more mpg. Most people do not realize this. Even adding cold air intakes and ram air systems will not add mpg. They force more air into the engine, which makes the car add more fuel to maintain the proper air/fuel mix, meaning more fuel burned and less mpg.

If you want to add a turbo, but want to keep most of your mpg, you will have to modify your driving habits to get better mpg. The "All about mpg" section has a lot of good info for doing this.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
True... I meant engine-wise. Relieving some of the back pressure on engines by using larger pipes and less restrictive mufflers have been known to increase mpg a little. This is actually the first car I have not cut the cat off of. lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

most disturbing sig yet there nitro...lol

a child molesting clown. his daughter no less (as she mouths "daddy").

sick, but chuckle worthy none the less.
This may be the saddest post I've ever made, but I found the source vid.

:cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.