Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have a 2007 ls 2.2 5 speed
im basicly trying to figureout how to get way better MPG.
im gettting 28-29 MPG
and i drive mainly 60 speed zone to work
and back. is their anythig i can replace or do to gain better MPG
ive done all my usual tune up, and still cant figureout why im not getting 32 or more.
ive done a system clean test with seafoam
and im running with NGK spark plugs, purilator air filter.
ik if i get a cold air intake KN it will help as well
but is their any parts i can replace that is just gettin old?
i currently have 122,000 miles on my car.
:sad:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
should do a full tune up before you start watching your mpg. Do your fuel filter at least. What is your tire pressure at? when was your last oil change? how are you measuring your mpg?

I installed a gm performance cai and it did nothing for fuel mileage. I also installed the gm performance catback and that did nothing as well.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
38 or 39 will give you best mpg, but be aware that you do shave a little life off the tires since that is technically over inflated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Add an electric motor to make the first ever hybrid cobalt! lol, jk

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Could always ask a trucker to pull you and just install a front tow hook lol.

On a serious note tho, really to get much better gas mileage besides what was already said, weight reduction (not keeping any unnecessary stuff in the car), keeping the maintenance up on it (to include the fuel filter), over inflate tires a little bit (2-3lbs of air max), take off slower from stops, shift at a slightly lower rpm, getting it tuned for a leaner AFR (not tuned for performance), and drafting other people. Those are about all of the ways to get better MPG's and with all that, especially you being NA, won't help too much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had my tires at 47psi. Recently lowered them down to 38. Ride quality feels a little better. Not as harsh on the New England roads.

·
Registered
113 Posts
47! So when your tires are hot I bet your up over 50. You hit a pot hole with then that high, they could blow. Extra wear to tire, accelerated damage to suspension... not worth it. Remove any extra weight from interior and keep a good tune and be happy it's a 4. banger. Run the recommend pressures on your door.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Max that I saw was 49. I believe the max pressure on the sidewall is a little conservative but I did lower the pressure to 38. I find that my mileage pretty much stays the same no matter what. Tire pressure to 47 and blocked off the lower grill area. Same thing. Only thing that really changes it is my speed on the highway but when you toss in a mix of that, city and country road driving, by the end of the week, it's 30.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I never get over 30 on the DIC average. Of course I mostly do city driving. It usually ends up anywhere between 26 and 28.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I never get over 30 on the DIC average. Of course I mostly do city driving. It usually ends up anywhere between 26 and 28.
Ah, mine is combined hwy/city and its roughly 34.1 avg according to the DIC. When you air up your tires, oil change, and clean your air filter (for the K&N drop in guys), reset your mpg on the DIC and you should improve some, if not restore what you lost.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My dic shows around mid 34s I actually get around 36.5 all highway miles 2.2 5 speed cobalt with 217k miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
The trick to better gas mileage is driving like you have an egg under the gas pedal. I get between 5.9 to 6.2 liters/100 kms in my 07 2.2 automatic. I bought it just to drive back and forth to work and drive at 105 kms on the highway, sometimes a little less. I get between 750 to 830 kms on a tank of gas depending on the weather.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hey, i have a 2007 ls 2.2 5 speed
im basicly trying to figureout how to get way better MPG.
im gettting 28-29 MPG
and i drive mainly 60 speed zone to work
and back. is their anythig i can replace or do to gain better MPG
ive done all my usual tune up, and still cant figureout why im not getting 32 or more.
ive done a system clean test with seafoam
and im running with NGK spark plugs, purilator air filter.
ik if i get a cold air intake KN it will help as well
but is their any parts i can replace that is just gettin old?
i currently have 122,000 miles on my car.
:sad:
CAI won't neccessarly help your gas mileage... it'll lower it 1-3 MPG

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
CAI won't neccessarly help your gas mileage... it'll lower it 1-3 MPG
Where did you get this factless comment? The only reason gas mileage goes down when you install a CAI is because most people step on it a bit more because they like the new sound their engine makes. If you don't change your driving habits you should actually see and increase in MPG. Hell just changing a dirty air filter to a new one will give you better mpg.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was just seeing when you would jump in and correct me, mr. coby

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.