Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a full catback make that much of a difference over a muffler swap? It looks like the exhaust pipe stays the same size (non-turbo setup 3").

·
Registered
317 Posts
oh yes the catback will make much of a difference over just a muffler swap. not only is the pipe larger, if it is one of the good kits its bends will be smoother than the bends in the stock exhaust. just a muffler wont do anything. unless of course you own a crx then a muffler along with the matching decals on the side will combine for an extra 75.34 horsepower. trust me im a doctor :)

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
i did both. when i bought my car i put a flowmaster muffler on. and while it sounded better, i didnt notice any kind of gain. then i picked up a gmpp cat back. and noticed some gain in top end. not a whole lot, but it was there.(with a dramatic sound increase) to really open your cars exhaust, you will need to do the header and dp too. the downpipe in our 2.2's is very restrictive. that and the over axel bend before the muffler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well i seen in your post something about a 3". if you have a 2.2 auto you do not need a 3". at the most maybe a 2.5 a sc or turbo car would need it do to all of the air it moves. that or maybe if you put it on the spray of something you might need it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
go with a full catback the piping right before the stock muffler gets as small as 1.8 in diameter. Thats pretty restrictive. If you up grade to the full catback system you get better flow due to smoother bends and larger diameter plus a better muffler. If you get just an upgraded muffler you still have the restriction of the 1.8 diameter exhaust piping going into the 2.25 exhaust that you upgrade to.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Full catback is the way to go. then after that you want to look into a header and dp like shane said. You will be able to free up more power that way.if money is the issue I suggest to just save because you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got the Magnaflow cat back exhaust for my 2.2 LS, i want to invest in a header, i was thinking of going with the dealer and getting a GM performance Parts header. Should i go with that or is there something ealse out there thats better?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I got the Magnaflow cat back exhaust for my 2.2 LS, i want to invest in a header, i was thinking of going with the dealer and getting a GM performance Parts header. Should i go with that or is there something ealse out there thats better?
i suggest getting a header and downpipe combo. Racing Solutions and ZZP have one. the only header i know of that GM has is the extrude honed manifold, and i dont think they have a dp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.