Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if any of you guys can tell me how restrictive our OEM mufflers are and what, if much of any gains would be felt by going to a performance muffler.

Was thinking about a Magnaflow P/N 12254

Looks like this universal one is about the closest in size to OEM I could find.

Anyone have sound clips to share of just doing a muffler?

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Curious if any of you guys can tell me how restrictive our OEM mufflers are and what, if much of any gains would be felt by going to a performance muffler.

Was thinking about a Magnaflow P/N 12254

Looks like this universal one is about the closest in size to OEM I could find.

Anyone have sound clips to share of just doing a muffler?
Magnaflow 12254

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Honestly, you won't see probably any noticeable gains if any at all. Just a nice sound. To feel anything you would have to do thr entire exhaust system; header, downpipe, and exhaust. The downpipe is the most restrictive thing on our cars. Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely good insight. I might just stay OEM because I like my exhaust to be relatively quiet. A little louder would not bother me though. Maybe if it ever rots out or breaks I'll just do a Magnaflow Cat-back.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
honestly. the cheapest, most efficient way would be to buy an ebay exhaust that is 304 stainless steel, buying a stainless steel muffler and just getting that welded. that will cost you 300 MAX, probably more 225-275. but a magnaflow catback, which is the EXACT SAME THING will cost you twice that much or more

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
That its still raspy at times though. I need to add resonator or sc to chill it out, lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
No, but I would feel better about it being loud! :p

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Do not get just a muffler welded on, especially the magnaflow one. You wont gain any horsepower, you just create noise. It will sound like poop when you floor it. Magnaflow was good a decade ago, now their too carried away with their name and do not focus on quality work anymore. That particular muffler is designed for v6 engines, not inline 4's.

I would suggest like everyone else into the ebay, chop off their muffler and add a borla idea to it. Borla mufflers have a nicer approach in throatier sounds.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
And droney.

And raspy.

Since it's chambered.

Ain't foolin' anyone that knows.

My last setup had a big resonator, HFC, and no muffler. Was alright...then I put on a Dynomax Super Turbo...very quiet muffler.

My setup now is a totally stock '10 downpipe, 2.5" option racing stainless catback with a Borla Pro XS...it works great for what it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.