Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. After i put on my new rims, a little while after, I hear a clanking noise everytime i go over uneven surfaces like a pothole up a driveway, etc. It doesnt sound to serious just something loose or something. Anyone know what this could be??

2. When I got in my car this morning, turned the car on, only my back speakers were working. I have read online, in tons of forms that many cobalts had the same probelm: The front speakers did not work along with the turn signal sounds + and the back speakers were unaffected. I dont get it.

3. Also When I got in my car this morning I turned off the radio to play around with to see if I could figure out the problem, I also noticed my car is idoling rough. It has 23,000 miles on it! I havent had a problem now i have all these problems at once :(

FML :sad2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
No clue mang, but that clunking you mention...I got the same thing. I had something similar last winter when I hit a ****ing crater of a pothole. Turns out it was the tie rods that were screwed up.

And now its clunking again. Its not as loud as when my tie rods were shot, but its noticeable. So, not sure what that is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No clue mang, but that clunking you mention...I got the same thing. I had something similar last winter when I hit a ****ing crater of a pothole. Turns out it was the tie rods that were screwed up.

And now its clunking again. Its not as loud as when my tie rods were shot, but its noticeable. So, not sure what that is.
ugh i know its the worst thanks

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Its your control arm bushings. Cobalts are known for this
thanks im getting it checked out next week

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
is the clunking coming from the rear? if so then open up ur rear drum and check for loose/broken metal...

·
Registered
674 Posts
The speakers problem is the Stock Door and Deck speakers are Crap, but because the door speakers are attached to an object that gets moved and slammed a lot harder than the rear deck, the magnets get week and the voice coils go. Only solution is to Replace with Quality Speakers! I put in a set of Pioneer Four Ways front and rear, MUCH BETTER sound over stock, and no speaker fade/failure.

As for the clunking... did you check to see if your lugs are tight? If so, maybe tie rods...

Idle... Try pulling the battery cables off for a night, reconnect in the morning, it will reset the ECU/PCM and it will basically have the Stock parameters in it. After it is running and driven, these PCM's will learn and subtly shift the program parameters for the style of driving. Try that, or check your battery, could have a bad battery and voltage is dropping cause of alternator strain

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does the car shake when you hit the brakes?
the steering wheel shakes when i hit the brakes, not the whole car

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

is the clunking coming from the rear? if so then open up ur rear drum and check for loose/broken metal...
not really sure exactly where the clunking noise is coming from... but it sounds like from the front more than the back but its hard to tell

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

The speakers problem is the Stock Door and Deck speakers are Crap, but because the door speakers are attached to an object that gets moved and slammed a lot harder than the rear deck, the magnets get week and the voice coils go. Only solution is to Replace with Quality Speakers! I put in a set of Pioneer Four Ways front and rear, MUCH BETTER sound over stock, and no speaker fade/failure.

As for the clunking... did you check to see if your lugs are tight? If so, maybe tie rods...

Idle... Try pulling the battery cables off for a night, reconnect in the morning, it will reset the ECU/PCM and it will basically have the Stock parameters in it. After it is running and driven, these PCM's will learn and subtly shift the program parameters for the style of driving. Try that, or check your battery, could have a bad battery and voltage is dropping cause of alternator strain
speakers: yeah i deff figured that it was from them being stock crap speakers lol i should deff get new ones.
Clunking: yes the lugs are tight. And it doesnt sound like its coming from the wheels.

Idle: thanks ill have to try it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
my friend got rims for his civic and we put them on at my place; all lugs were tight we left to go for a ride with them on. and we heard some clanking noises just driving. and i looked the rotor was able to wiggle. and i relized the rims offset caused it not to be able to hold the rotor tight against the hub

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my friend got rims for his civic and we put them on at my place; all lugs were tight we left to go for a ride with them on. and we heard some clanking noises just driving. and i looked the rotor was able to wiggle. and i relized the rims offset caused it not to be able to hold the rotor tight against the hub
thanks alot!!!!!!!! now i have something to specifically look at

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks alot!!!!!!!! now i have something to specifically look at
Turns out my moms car had the same problem last year. My dad works with someone who does front end work on cars as a side project type thing. Said it was a stabilizer link, and replaced/fixed it. So I'll be taking mine to him sometime this week hopefully (depending on when my day off is and if he's available that day at all). If its the same problem, the part was around 40 bucks Canadian and took 10 minutes to do.

Its another possibility. I'll keep you posted when I get mine looked at.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out my moms car had the same problem last year. My dad works with someone who does front end work on cars as a side project type thing. Said it was a stabilizer link, and replaced/fixed it. So I'll be taking mine to him sometime this week hopefully (depending on when my day off is and if he's available that day at all). If its the same problem, the part was around 40 bucks Canadian and took 10 minutes to do.

Its another possibility. I'll keep you posted when I get mine looked at.
thanks. im taking my car to GM to see whats goin on.. cuz it bugs the shit out of me. I hope it isnt related to the new rims so they can fix it instead of me

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
turns out my bushings were shottttt got them replaced by GM! : ) lucky me. cuz i prob caused that problem but none the less the major problem got fixed

and they reset the cpu and it idles a little better now.

and speakers he basically said go buy new speakers lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.