Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 Chevy Cobalt @ 47K miles.

At about 65 miles through a full tank of gas it started shaking at ignition and the service engine light was flashing. I immediately noticed a huge reduction in power. It can barely manage a steep incline ... but eventually (after stopping and adding 4 12oz bottles of gas treatment), I got it home. It's now day 2 - same problem. To clarify, it has not yet shown any improvement.

I also noticed the car is driving at 1k rpm higher than it usually does. It idles at normal rpm level but still shakes.

I normally get 30+ MPG. This tank is only getting 18 MPG.

Can anyone help me out here with potential problems and solutions? Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
673 Posts
This could be any number of a 1000 things. Go to autozone and get the CEL checked. Then come back and tell us what they said it was. Then we can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the ignition coil. Not covered by power train warranty. Anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its not unheard of for the coil pack or the ignition control module to go bad. We had a few come through at my work. Most I have heard about however are owner induced problems (wrong spark plugs).

·
Banned
161 Posts
Ignition coil is not covered under powertrain? That sucks.
By the by, I would never add 4 cans of gas treatment at once. Go easy on the stuff.
correct that will destroy your 02 sensor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.