Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I been thinking about getting off my ass and doing some work to the Balt.

1: Paint entire center console.
2: Replace parking brake cover with shift knob and boot.
3: Illuminate gauge cluster with blue lights.
4: Replace carpet with black carpet.

I have a few questions about some of the things...

I know that the paint on the console will get scratched so I plan on clear coating it, but where can I find a low to no gloss clear coat? I don't want it shiny.

Are there any parking brake knobs that will fit without modifying the parking brake lever?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Are you going to change the actual lights in the cluster? if so let me know what type and size lights you buy. I'm going to do the same thing but it's on hold until I get all my upolstery done. I just got my new cluster today! when I was looking into it I saw a site called SUPER BRIGHT LEDS homethat had a good selection but since I've taken the bulbs out I haven't had time to check.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on installing LED strips under the gauges to illuminate onto the gauges...I don't want to mess with the lights cause I don't feel like buying a new gauge cluster...lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
You mean like I had too? haha. I have an idea like that but it involves etching the plastic cover with costum lettering and then putting leds into the plastic and it would light up the lettering.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a Pep Boys near you?...They have light strips that are hella bright that I will use, if you can stop by there and check out the light stuff they have...awesome stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Use SEM spray dye for the console I used it on my door panels in my old alero, held up really well, i don't even know if they make a topcoat, its a dye so there is no glossy or dull, looks like the plastic was always that color

only asking since all the old posts are gone:
Duffy where did you get your gauge cluster? I want to change the lighting as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used that krylon fusion across the whole dash, just cleaned it, no primer or sanding, about 3 coats and let it dry. was 6 months ago roughly and not a scratch or wear mark yet. used it on door panels as well and paint seems to be holding up fine.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Use SEM spray dye for the console I used it on my door panels in my old alero, held up really well, i don't even know if they make a topcoat, its a dye so there is no glossy or dull, looks like the plastic was always that color

only asking since all the old posts are gone:
Duffy where did you get your gauge cluster? I want to change the lighting as well
ebay. It's just a stock one. I'm going to do all the work it then put it in the car when I'm done

·
Registered
768 Posts
HAHA!!! well we all know that I can't read now. lol.

Pull up on the whole thing just to pop out the tabs. Put the car in drive or neutral and pull the e-brake up a fair amount. Lift up from the back (towards the rear of the car) and it should just pop out.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There are 2 screws, one on each side of the back sides of the console (seats are in the way). Any chance you know someone that has installed a armrest lately -- the armrest has instructions that show how to remove the console.

·
Registered
768 Posts
hey nugz if you haven't already done the console thing then I'll post some pics tomorrow. I was confused when you said console I thought you ment the piece that goes through the shifter. I was mistaken. Let me know pics will make It easier to understand

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey nugz if you haven't already done the console thing then I'll post some pics tomorrow. I was confused when you said console I thought you ment the piece that goes through the shifter. I was mistaken. Let me know pics will make It easier to understand
Ok...That will help. What I am taking off is everything from the dash to the rear seats...I have had most of it off before to clean but the part of the console that surrounds the shifter was a little harder than the others...

Has anyone had the entire center console assembly out? If so the what do I have to look forward to difficulty wise?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was hoping to replace the carpet also, with some black instead of the neutral I have now. I didn't realize it was so expensive, $193 on GMpartsdirect...I guess its not that bad cause it would be a perfect fit instead of the do it your self stuff.

Has anyone found it cheaper anywhere else?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.