Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I take my foot off the pedel it stops wanting to go, Like its given up and will not chug anymore, Until I press down then it goes. Though before recently It wanted to go and now its just bleh for some reason. Does anyone know why?

I have ~4,500 Miles on the car now.

It maybe the automatic because It like to shift like an old lady, unfortunately.

·
Registered
194 Posts
rephrasing is in order here lol... maybe it's more of when he goes WOT it goes, then when he lets off and tries again it's like it doesn't want to downshift again it just goes in the high gear it's in, unless he slams on it 100%.... seems like he's trying to say it should move with less than 100% throttle, but it won't it paces itself and he's trying to figure out why.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
congratulations, welcome to the life of a cobalt owner, theyre geared for mpg, not power, its a 2.2l I4, not a 6.0....lol

If it's auto, downshift it, if you want power under 50mph, go to L for 1st and 2nd.....if you want power 50mph up put it in I....4th is FAIL...at full throttle the car shifts into 4th at 110mph and bogs out, however without a governor and a few mods, you can have your car up to 135mph in 3rd...sounds crazy but its true...shift it...the only solution...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand the joke haha, But I'm serious because 500 miles a go when in stop and go traffic it would keep a steady pace but it just kinds drags along now. When i let go of the throttle it drags its feet. Its not when I'm already cruising down the highway, It will continue but while going slow already it just drags.

·
Registered
429 Posts
congratulations, welcome to the life of a cobalt owner, theyre geared for mpg, not power, its a 2.2l I4, not a 6.0....lol

If it's auto, downshift it, if you want power under 50mph, go to L for 1st and 2nd.....if you want power 50mph up put it in I....4th is FAIL...at full throttle the car shifts into 4th at 110mph and bogs out, however without a governor and a few mods, you can have your car up to 135mph in 3rd...sounds crazy but its true...shift it...the only solution...
is there a forum on here with a DIY about taking out the governor?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The "governor" is built into the tune in the ECU. To eliminate the "governor", the car needs to be retuned. Welcome to the world of computer controlled vehicles, there is no such thing as a true governor anymore.

·
Registered
429 Posts
well if i got a tune would it b taken off?or would i have to get somesort of new computer that comes custommade without a govenor? and btw this is all for future reference for me,i dont have alot of money to play with right now on my car,haha,imlucky to get my insurance paid and have gas for it,o well,i guess thts life as a teen with a real small job,lol

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
A tune is not worth the money until the car is done being modded, ie intake, full exhaust etc. Otherwise you will have to get another tune once those mods are completed.
THe Cobalt was designed to be an econobox, GM did not have any kind of performance in mind during initial designs. IMO, just enjoy the car and mod as you get the money.

·
Registered
872 Posts
im at a loss. with only 4,000 miles i doubt anythings wrong with it. maybe you got a screw lose up you know where
this.

I understand the joke haha, But I'm serious because 500 miles a go when in stop and go traffic it would keep a steady pace but it just kinds drags along now. When i let go of the throttle it drags its feet. Its not when I'm already cruising down the highway, It will continue but while going slow already it just drags.
so it used to keep a steady pace, but now it drags along? does it drag along at a steady pace? im really at a loss of what to say right now...sounds to me like you're expecting it to accelerate itself or something

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so it used to keep a steady pace, but now it drags along? does it drag along at a steady pace? im really at a loss of what to say right now...sounds to me like you're expecting it to accelerate itself or something
It used to stay at a steady pace with out any pressure on the accelerator, now it drags when at slow sub 10Mph speeds.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

im at a loss. with only 4,000 miles i doubt anythings wrong with it. maybe you got a screw lose up you know where
Thanks bro, I'll see where i can get a screw driver to fix that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Turn the A/C off. You'll definetly notice throttle response.

·
Registered
441 Posts
u know what might help go see Marty Mcfly and the Doc go back to the future before u ever bought a cobalt and u might just be able to stop ur future self from buying a cobalt lol

just kidding. that is weird tough... hope u find what ur looking for take it to a dealership and have her looked at if ur really worried about it man .

·
Registered
674 Posts
all cars at speeds under 10mph kinda bog down when you let off the gas... it is call Letting off the GAS! they will still coast once the speed of the engine equals the gear they should be in and the speed the car is goin.

How bout this, wait till the engine shifts into Second then see if it bogs down like you say it is doing... I bet you the trans is staying in First gear longer and you are feeling that.

I also bet your car is playing Jedi Mind tricks on your a**

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
u know what might help go see Marty Mcfly and the Doc go back to the future before u ever bought a cobalt and u might just be able to stop ur future self from buying a cobalt lol

just kidding. that is weird tough... hope u find what ur looking for take it to a dealership and have her looked at if ur really worried about it man .
If I could go back in time I would have gotten one of the new Golf GTIs or looked harder for a SS Cobalt.

Though maybe I will check it out but I doubt it.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

all cars at speeds under 10mph kinda bog down when you let off the gas... it is call Letting off the GAS! they will still coast once the speed of the engine equals the gear they should be in and the speed the car is goin.

How bout this, wait till the engine shifts into Second then see if it bogs down like you say it is doing... I bet you the trans is staying in First gear longer and you are feeling that.

I also bet your car is playing Jedi Mind tricks on your a**
I'll try to drive in L for a second though I hate the sound of first gear It sounds like my car is mad, :laugh:. I thought that it was in second and that was the problem so I'll check it out, maybe I should get the Shiftplus and maybe then It will make a difference.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.