Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very sick of the slow 2.2 engine, ive tried to build on it but figured id rather just get a better car. That being said, ive been looking at the following cars

- subaru wrx
- volkswagen corrado
- cobalt ss
- volvo 850 t5
- pontiac g5 gt
- acura rsx

those are juss some options, whattya guys think? i really love chevy and the cobalts cool but if i did decide to move to another car, what would you get?

·
Registered
667 Posts
How do you figure slow? I have 107,000 miles on mine and its still peppy, and after college, when i can afford forced induction, oh man.

Also, avoid the Corrodo. those can get expensive in a hurry.

·
Registered
274 Posts
the rsx has the most aftermarket potential but it gets very expensive. If money is of no concern, get that car and slap a turbo on it. However, if you want speed NOW, go with a turbo SS Cobalt. Cant go wrong there!

·
Registered
567 Posts
well from your list, either an SS or a WRX....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Which SS? If it is the LSJ or LNF, then yes, but if its the 2.4, then it isn't that much quicker.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not going to talk on the SS, you should know all about those from by now.

The WRX is a nice looking car. Decently fast and AWD is a major plus. Good aftermarket, and plenty of tuners out there for it. Only thing I could see bad it that is might be expensive if anything goes wrong on it.

The Acura RSX...if you get one get a type S. Don't settle for anything less, or you will be in for a big disappointment. Fun to drive when you finally, after a long and painfully slow run up to the powerband (i.e vtec), make it to the upper ranges of the RPM. Has a 8000 RPM redline. Suspension is good, but on the soft side. Has very noticeable body roll. Stiffer springs will make up for that though. If you can find one for the right price, I would go with it, but this is if you absolutely have to get out of a Cobalt.

The pontiac G5 Gt...isn't that just a different Cobalt SS/NA? Why bother.

Don't know much about the other two to comment.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
yea thats quite a crap list if you are looking for something faster, yea the SS, LSJ or TC is definitely fast but only if you want to be back in the same car with alittle different interior and appearance. the WRX is alright but a slob when not an STi, you lose some good power once you get up there because of it all trying to go to 4 wheels. I would just go out and test anything you find in your price range that betters what you have now and make your decision than

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
but a ss lsj
lol... sorry but they aren't the be all end all

Personally, the only car on your list I'd see the sense in buying would be an STI.

I would advise you to look at the mid 90s twin turbo Nissan 300ZXs or Supras, sure your going back a few years- but it'll give you a kick in the pants. Camaros and Trans Ams are on the same levels of performance.

Take a look at the VW GTI, peppy little thing- but I've head maintenance SUCKS. How bout a little older BMW M3, like an early 2000?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get yourself a E46 M3 and call it a day. Do a nice HorsepowerFreaks kit and you'll be right up there with Ford GT - ZR1 and not talking outta my ass cause I've seen them keep up. That 3.2L Inline-6 is a monster of a motor and adding anything is kick ass. 339HP stock takes all of those cars you posted. Than it out handles if you wanna go track days and it looks better too

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
lol... sorry but they aren't the be all end all

Personally, the only car on your list I'd see the sense in buying would be an STI.

I would advise you to look at the mid 90s twin turbo Nissan 300ZXs or Supras, sure your going back a few years- but it'll give you a kick in the pants. Camaros and Trans Ams are on the same levels of performance.

Take a look at the VW GTI, peppy little thing- but I've head maintenance SUCKS. How bout a little older BMW M3, like an early 2000?
i'll agree with you except on VW.. dont even go there... EVER friggin billion dollar break job.......

My freind owns a 300ZX turbo and the thing goes like stink and looks pretty sharp, Or a late 90's supra, the turbo versions are INSANE!

2000-2002 Camaro SS/PontiacT/A 6spd are two of my dream cars

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i'll agree with you except on VW.. dont even go there... EVER friggin billion dollar break job.......

My freind owns a 300ZX turbo and the thing goes like stink and looks pretty sharp, Or a late 90's supra, the turbo versions are INSANE!

2000-2002 Camaro SS/PontiacT/A 6spd are two of my dream cars
Haha I keep hearing that about the VWs. Yep I love those cars to death, I hope I get to own each and ever one at some point in my life. Nothing like twin turbos and the LS1 T56.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.