Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I customized these aftermarket tail lights so that the inside lights have the same red LED ring as the outer ones, and installed a white LED backup light as well. Then I wired them so they behave exactly as the outer lights (running lights, brake lights and blinkers).

BEFORE:

AFTER:

LIGHTS OFF:

RUNNING LIGHTS:

BRAKE LIGHTS:

BRAKE & BACKUP LIGHTS:
[/quote]

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I've seen this refered to as the skyline mod b4, very well done tho!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen this refered to as the skyline mod b4, very well done tho!
The Skyline mod has smaller LED rings in the inner lights, which I don't like. That's why I dubbed this the Ferrari mod lol

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
this is EXACTLY what I want to do, where did you get the LED rings for the inners and how big (diameter) are they? and how did you wire them to the resistors and such? it looks GREAT

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is EXACTLY what I want to do, where did you get the LED rings for the inners and how big (diameter) are they? and how did you wire them to the resistors and such? it looks GREAT
Thanks. I simply bought a second set of these aftermarket lights and cannibalized the outer lights to get the LED rings for the inners. I plan to make a how-to this week, and will post the link to it in this thread.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Please do, I need to change my tails due to cops not being a fan of the black out!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Neat idea. Id do the same but just make them running/brake and signal be the outside but i dont think you can split the signal :(

·
Registered
289 Posts
I customized these aftermarket tail lights so that the inside lights have the same red LED ring as the outer ones, and installed a white LED backup light as well. Then I wired them so they behave exactly as the outer lights (running lights, brake lights and blinkers).

BEFORE:

AFTER:

LIGHTS OFF:

RUNNING LIGHTS:

BRAKE LIGHTS:

BRAKE & BACKUP LIGHTS:
[/QUOTE]

Hey I've been wanting to do this for a while I have those same lights. How did you do the reverse lights? looks really good man

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I've been wanting to do this for a while I have those same lights. How did you do the reverse lights? looks really good man[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm really happy with how they came out.
I'm making a how-to this week and will post a link to it in this thread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You definitely need a "How-to" on this one. That's pretty awesome

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Also, can you provide where you got those tails because thats the style I've been looking for. Ebay, site, custom where ever you got them because the ones I look at dont have the lights on so you can never be sure if its the look you want. Not ready to spend 180 on some lights I'm not sure I will like!!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
damn, not exactly willing to buy 2 sets of those lights at $180 a set to do this mod but def. down to buy one set then figure something out :p

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Didnt mean these specifically were 180, just seen a couple at that price and it freaked me out. Not worth 180!!

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Just saw them on ebay for $118.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes they are around $120 shipped, here's the link of the seller i bought my second set from. I had them within a week and they were brand new and very well packaged.

2005-2010 CHEVY COBALT 2DR 2D LED TAIL LIGHTS SMOKE 4PC | eBay

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Alright folks, as promised, follow this link: 5280cobalts.com for the how-to with pictures for making these awesome double LED tails:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
OH DAMN they went down in price. thanks a lot for the ebay link I'll keep them on watch, might do this after all!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you search ebay you can find them cheaper, I've seen a pair for about 80.

Can you please make sure to create the how to? With tax returns coming and the fact that I am chased down by a cop every other week all of a sudden I really want to do this. Good thing its rush hour and I can dive and weave through the traffic! Only been caught once and have seen four come after me so far!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
If you search ebay you can find them cheaper, I've seen a pair for about 80.

Can you please make sure to create the how to? With tax returns coming and the fact that I am chased down by a cop every other week all of a sudden I really want to do this. Good thing its rush hour and I can dive and weave through the traffic! Only been caught once and have seen four come after me so far!
sweet. I'll be looking when I have money this spring :p

also look back a couple of posts, he posted a link to his how-to on another forum and it's quite detailed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.