Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rested my elbow on it when I was about to start my car and the door panel arm rest, covered in fabric and behind the power switches, just cracked down the middle under the fabric so now if I rest my elbow on it the separated plastic folds in making sound and very annoying.

I'm 5'8 and 135lbs... I cannot believe the weight of my arm just snapped it, Im surprised but at the same time I'm not... Sigh

So aside from replacing the whole door panel, how should I go about making a brace for the separated plastic so it doesn't piss me off?

Like cmon, I didn't do some elbow slam on it, I just rested it on it and shifted my weight towards it when putting the key in, that's no weight at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
I rested my elbow on it when I was about to start my car and the door panel arm rest, covered in fabric and behind the power switches, just cracked down the middle under the fabric so now if I rest my elbow on it the separated plastic folds in making sound and very annoying.

I'm 5'8 and 135lbs... I cannot believe the weight of my arm just snapped it, Im surprised but at the same time I'm not... Sigh

So aside from replacing the whole door panel, how should I go about making a brace for the separated plastic so it doesn't piss me off?

Like cmon, I didn't do some elbow slam on it, I just rested it on it and shifted my weight towards it when putting the key in, that's no weight at all.

Maybe the foam was removed? mine had a big piece of foam behind to avoid this, I'd simply just reinforce it with some more of the faom.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There's not much you can do in the realm of repair I feel but the first step would be to take it completely off and get a butt-load of duct tape and something to brace it, perhaps folded cardboard and go to town. Just make all the repairs from the inside of the panel so you can't see them. What supports that armrest is a metal shelf type thing and that's what the handle screws into, make sure that is in place and the handle/switch cluster is secure at all points. I suppose you could maybe epoxy it along the crack or something. Just have to try different things.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What does canadia do for the fourth of july

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
4th of july is just another day. which is nice of us to think that way since its the day americans stole a large chunk of our territory from us. :p

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
4th of july is just another day. which is nice of us to think that way since its the day americans stole a large chunk of our territory from us. :p
Ha ha ha ! they just stole what we didn't want lol!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
you could probably take off the door panel and fiberglass the inside of it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
When I reupholstered the inserts, I noticed the passenger side was broken about 2 inches back from the window/lock switch bezel opening. Also along the front of the same opening where the tab slips under the insert to hold the switch bezel in place. I'm assuming its from when the dealer removed the bezel and put in the trim ring around the bezel to cover up the cloth cover that had been cut too small. They must have jammed it back in and broke the insert. Anyways, I used a strong epoxy to fix it. That side doesn't get much use but it has been fine so far!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.