• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so being i have about a $1500 head unit, and it can be seen very easily i needed to figure out a way to cover it up for when i park in bad neighbor hoods.

thats what it looks like.

This is what i dd to cover it up. I took my old stock radio and hacked the shit out of it, cut it down real nice and made it fit into my dash. you can see ther little piece i did not cut on the top of the radio. That slides in the dash right above the headunit. Theres a tiny little space that it fits into.

hows it looks? would it fool a thief do you think?
Remember its going to be seen from outside the car obviously, and through tints.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Haha thats awesome! Maybe I could do something like that whenever I replace my head unit. I live in Baltimore city...Eeek

·
Banned
292 Posts
so being i have about a $1500 head unit, and it can be seen very easily i needed to figure out a way to cover it up for when i park in bad neighbor hoods.

thats what it looks like.

This is what i dd to cover it up. I took my old stock radio and hacked the shit out of it, cut it down real nice and made it fit into my dash. you can see ther little piece i did not cut on the top of the radio. That slides in the dash right above the headunit. Theres a tiny little space that it fits into.

hows it looks? would it fool a thief do you think?
Remember its going to be seen from outside the car obviously, and through tints.
thats not the first time someone has thought of this and done this... however i believe its scosche that makes a kit that adds a door to your headunit that you can just close up... thats probably what i'll end up doing... just my .02c but great and cheap idea.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats not the first time someone has thought of this and done this... however i believe its scosche that makes a kit that adds a door to your headunit that you can just close up... thats probably what i'll end up doing... just my .02c but great and cheap idea.
yeah i dont see the point of the door. it obviosly means you have something to hide. especially on a car that doesnt come with it stock. like the scions is stock so that make sense. but for a car that doesnt, it says, "look theres something worth something under here". theifs are not as smart as you make think, they know how to get the job done, and will see right through that i think.

·
Banned
292 Posts
yeah i dont see the point of the door. it obviosly means you have something to hide. especially on a car that doesnt come with it stock. like the scions is stock so that make sense. but for a car that doesnt, it says, "look theres something worth something under here". theifs are not as smart as you make think, they know how to get the job done, and will see right through that i think.
actually several new cars have this door, and just because your car has a door doesn't mean the sterio is behind there... i've seen stereos come in some strange locations lol... but like i said before to each their own...

it is a good idea however.

·
Registered
97 Posts
props for the good idea. very clever. i personally would have sold the stock stereo and bought one of those door thinga-ma-jigs and kept the leftover cash.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Great idea!
But, if they know it's a cover, they will want to know what is behind it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great idea!
But, if they know it's a cover, they will want to know what is behind it.
yeah but if i didnt have it they would want what would be behind it.
lol

·
Banned
292 Posts
whats even funnier is theives are very smart this day in age, they will scope a car for a week, and they are not dumb they will frequent sites like these to see if people are installing kill switches doing stuff like you just posted about and they will look for these things when stealing your car expecitally if your the target and your car looks different enough to be able to find on some website because you post pictures of your stuff up here ;) hehe... i know it sounds like alot of trouble for a theif to go through but come on we are in 2008 here soon to be 2009 a theif just doesn't walk up to a car with a lock puller and drive off with a car, little bit a research needs to be done etc.. etc etc.. like figuring out were the factory alarm box is on the car so they can kill the alarm, knowing which wires do what to be able to get around the ignition etc... ever watch repo... trust me its no 5 minute decision to steal a car anymore.

·
Registered
276 Posts
or do what my nieghbor has done... took a car battery and rigged the wires up to have it sitting right behind the dash so when you go to pull out theres a bunch of metal with a high ass current going through it and you'll know soon enough lol

·
Registered
298 Posts
LOL - Didn't the old coils store up enough juice to knock a person on their butt if the door handle was "properly" wired? Seems to me it was like the old crank phones, you were the ground and got a nice jolt every once in a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im into car audio and could tell right off the back that the cover was fake and would have rip that crap right out, I know it sucks to have a system stolen I have actually had my system jacked out of my cobalt. Thats why i havent replaced the stock deck but im going to with a kenwood deck, The deck is sweet and the idea behind it to keep it secure was sweet idea. What you should think bout is mayble installing a gps on the deck to keep track of it, like they do in cars.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
thats clever but if i got a radio like that i wouldnt wanna hack up my stock radio incase i wanna put it back if i sell my car

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats clever but if i got a radio like that i wouldnt wanna hack up my stock radio incase i wanna put it back if i sell my car
Yeah im looking to sell my car now, but i bought te stock radio for 25$, so ti wasnt a big deal really.

But you dont have to use the stock radio, you can find a broken double din radio o ebay im sure that someone is selling for like 10 bucks and just use that.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Eh we'll see. Might not even be worth it. I have a gps already, and don't listen to music often. It just looks nice lol but I dunno if it's really worth getting for me.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you can find cheap screens that arejust a radio, no navigation or dvd player for like 400 new. maybe fiund some for like 200 used.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.