Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a member for about 2 years now. I bought my little G5 as a complimentary daily driver to my 2006 GTO project car.

The only reason I bought this car was because it was a Pontiac and was orange. The Delta Body style has similar lines to the GTO (a.k.a. Holden Monaro), and I thought it would be cool to own a car that looks sorta like a little GTO. I've dub'd this car the "GT-oh?". The car came with a GMPP CAI, but I cannot leave anything stock. My first mods were to replace the old headlights with black / chrome ones, remove the spoiler, add a 'Balt SS rear bumper lip (where I modded the grille inserts), and I put G6 GT 18" wheels on it.

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Car Window

Then I performed my first oil change on the car at 112K miles and blue smoke started pouring from the exhaust...whoops! I looked for parts, but because of CoVID, I couldn't find parts to rebuild the motor. Instead I had to purchase a used (65K mile) motor. While I was putting it all back together, I wound up having / wanting to replace a TON of parts, (front sway bar was cracked, steering rack dust cover was badly torn, bushings and end links needed to be replaced because I couldn't find an FE3 sway). I also I upgraded the brakes to LNF Brembo's ($75 on eBay, but the calipers were beat and needed a rebuild), I got new drilled / slotted front rotors and painted the brakes "Pontiac Blue Metallic" to match the motor and replaced the timing chains. I bought ZZP LE5 cams, the T/B adapter plate for the LSJ throttle body, I home ported the stock exhaust ports and port matched the intake manifold to the head. I haven't installed the cams, because I was having issues with the ECM tune from ZZP. When I had the ECM reprogrammed, for the larger T/B and adapter plate, the car wouldn't run at all...

Those parts are on the shelf and waiting, until I get time to sort it out.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Motor vehicle

👆👆👆 Don't worry, I put the rotors on correctly

👇👇👇 I also swapped out the gauge overlay for one I had made (special) by BLACK CAT CUSTOM. These match the Classic Instruments Yellow AutoCross series gauges I got for it

Automotive tire Gauge Speedometer Automotive lighting Font

Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Automotive design

A few weeks ago, I installed new (chrome) door handles and added some sound deadener foam inside of the doors. When I bought this car, the drivers side door handle was body color, but the passenger side was sanded down like someone was going to paint it...but didn't. It always bothered me, so I replaced it.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Vehicle door

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

...and here's a very rare picture of my two Orange Pontiacs side by side. Neither car is finished. The GTO is not done yet. It was supposed to be running by now, but the rebuilt differential is in California waiting to be shipped back. The Drive Shaft Shop (DSS) 1400 hp axles haven't even been made for it and I still have to get the fuel system sorted properly. The GTO is Brazen Orange Metallic (only came in 2006), with an RPM Transmissions, Level 6 M6. That is bolted to a: sleeved, stroked and blown 421 cid / 6.9 Litre. The power adder is an LS9 which features an independent belt drive I designed / made; as well as an inverted snout inlet (to clear the stock hood). I also I redesigned a DuSPEED CAI to work with the LS9. Once finished, it should be in the 900- 950 rwhp arena.

Reactions: 1966tbird

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good score on the bimbo calipers
Btw do you have ABS on your 06?
Thanks and the GTO has ABS.

I should add, I didn't add / put in the hub spacer that some people say should go with the Cobalt Brembo's. Being these are quad piston, I feel the pistons will sort themselves out and balance the brake pads side to side.

I was at the local junk yard looking for a better center console (mine is broken) and a couple of smaller odds and ends, when I had an idea. Since I will be at the Pontiac Adventures this weekend and NOT bringing my GTO (which makes me sad 😕), I had an idea. I originally was looking for a Honda emblem, but trying to find one that says "Honda" is impossible. Instead, I found an "O" and "H" which were similar.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Automotive design Motor vehicle

So, now I have a GT-oh. I forget what I took the "O" off of, but the "H" is off a Ford Five Hundred. The "O" is a little too big for my liking. I made the "!" from some old stainless steel. In retrospect, I should have tried to make a "?", but that would have taken a few hours to get the shape of that correct. I may go back tonight and grab the "U" from the Ford so it will be a GT-uh! I'm not sure which I'll keep. I thought the GTO and a GT-oh? would have been funny.//

Reactions: 1966tbird
1 - 4 of 4 Posts