Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just bought a 2006 Cobalt SS, and it's really fast. He wanted me to have his 2005 Cobalt LS. It's loaded with everything, and it's a really nice car. Now I have this sweet car that I like a lot. Although it doesn't have the horse power of his SS, it is still pretty fast. I don't know as much about cars as he does, cause for the most part, I've had a warranty on my cars when I bought them, so any repairs were covered by it. This Cobalt is still under the extended warranty as well, but hasn't had many problems. He even bought an extended warranty with his '06 Cobalt SS. I must say, we're a Cobalt family.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Welcome to the family! The Cobalt is a fine little car. If you treat her right, she'll keep you out of trouble. And with the right help and knowledge, you can make your little 2.2 just as quick (or quicker!) than your son's SS. Nothing wrong with a little family rivalry, am I wrong? :)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Pics!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome first sir! That's great to hear you picking up his cobalt. Its the chevy cavalier perfected in my opinion. Your 2.2L with just a few bolt ons can maintain great fuel economy, some on here are known to carry more MPG than some hybrid vehicles out today. My record was 39.6 Hwy with just a intake, header, and catback system.

Your son's SS isn't that much more in power. You can stay with him on bolt ons and a proper tune.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Oh stop stealth :)
We all know the cobalt can get 100 MPG!
And welcome!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
welcome ,Ive never gotten that kinda mpg .lol yet and Ive owned 2 cavys love them both especially my z24 a 1990

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Duhh! Go 80 down a hill, neutral and turn it off! :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just turn it off, then turn the key back to run. I do that on the way to the station a bit when I run it a bit lower than I meant to.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You probably use more gas on start up than you would save idling. Also you have a 13 gallon tank, when you think it's that low next time look and see how much it actually takes, normally even if you push it and get scared you'll have about a gallon of gas left.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
13 gallons, really? mine has never taken more than 9 gallons, usually like 8.5 from when the low fuel warning pops up... just kinda assumed it was a 10 gallon tank i guess..

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You have to really run it on empty to get past 10 gallons to fill it.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
When I was on my SS, when I got the fuel range low indicator (meant I was under 10miles to empty), I could usually push it another 20-40 miles, depending on driving. It's really not that hard to get great mpg's out of these cars. I recorded 51 average mpg's on my SS.

But back to topic. Welcome to the balt family! Show us some pics! And point your son here too, we have LOADS of information I'm sure he wouldn't mind having.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the great welcome! I just put new tires on my '05 Cobalt. I thought it took the P195/60R15, but as it turns out, it takes P205/55R16. I wasn't aware it had 16 inch rims, but as it turns out, they're the sport pkg rims. The old tires were very worn out, cause my son loved to drive his car. It still has under 100,000 miles, but not a lot under, currently 98,000. Which I've been told isn't that much for a 9 year old car. You couldn't tell it's 9 years old, my son babied it like you wouldn't believe. He washed it, and waxed it, and generally kept in perfect shape. He's pretty happy it stayed in the family, and I still let him take it out for a drive. It has an amazing ride with these new tires (which I paid a pretty penny for), cause I wanted the best ones for it. I'll continue to treat it well, and I know it'll last for many more years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.