Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to paint my fuse box cover to match the other painted parts of my engine bay. The high temp primer I used said to cure it in the oven at 200 and then 400 degrees.

Me, being a complete idiot, didnt bother to think that even though the plastic could handle 200 degrees it probably couldnt handle 400...and now its a melted pile of crap

Getting to my point, as long as I keep it clean the fuse box should be ok for me to drive with uncovered til I pick up a replacement cover, right? I always have a can of compressed air around and I can give it a wipe down as well.

I know of a self serve auto yard so I can try there tomorrow if I have time after work.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily it doesnt rain here too much, but if it does I do keep a towel or two in the trunk and I would have to figure something out that wouldnt end in something catching on fire or whatever. Ill go look for a new cover asap...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Try some saran wrap for the time being. If a towel gets wet, it will soak through. With plastic wrap, the water will roll off.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was trying to think of a way to incorporate a clear Plexiglas into this...Im pretty handy overall, even if I make retarded decisions sometimes haha, but I could most definitely build a Plexiglas/plastic box on my own, if I could be sure the plastic or Plexiglas wasnt going to melt.

For now Ill do whatever it takes to keep it dry. I was also unsure about the foil due to the electricity factor in the fusebox

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Do they sell custom covers anywhere that you know of? id really like a metal one as well...

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Id still need a normal cover, but I know ive seen a couple people with these

Stainless Steel Fuse Box Cover - Chevy Bowtie - 2005-2006: by Parts - Engine Bay Covers and Caps - Fuse box Cover for Cobalt G5 05- - Car Performance Parts And Auto Accessories | MRZ Performance

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found some self serve auto part yards, but since they dont seem to keep inventory I just have to go there with my toolbox. (Im also looking for a new passenger side headlight since my original has gotten water in it and despite being opened/dried/sealed by me it still got some more moisture in there.

def let me know though, thanks!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oh noez, melted plastic! I painted my fusebox and plastic covers in my engine bay and i just used regular paint and its fine..... but i would prolly have done the same thing with the oven, thats just my kind of luck

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol, I totally thought about the fact that 400 degrees is pretty damn hot even for a plastic engine component, but too late now haha.

XFE connected me with foximus who has a replacement luckily. I still plan on painting the cover, but I may buy one of those stainless steel covers too since I like the look a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.