Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done tinting my tails.

All i did was clean tails with a thinner, wash them up with water, dry them, and spray them with vht nightshades (2 coats). Im really happy how they turned out!

BEFORE (most recent pic w/o tinted tails)

AFTER :bigsmile: (ignore my dirty car)

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Looks good, i may getting mine done by the time of our meet... cant wait to see it in person.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks you guys! n gals!

Looks good, i may getting mine done by the time of our meet... cant wait to see it in person.
yea im hoping to have my retros done by then! ill be pushing to get them done because parts come in on thursday.. they only take like 3 hours to do from taking out the first bolt to tightening the last one so i say do it!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
thanks you guys! n gals!

yea im hoping to have my retros done by then! ill be pushing to get them done because parts come in on thursday.. they only take like 3 hours to do from taking out the first bolt to tightening the last one so i say do it!
retrofits FTW!!! God I love mine.
tails look good!!! a good darkness and look pretty glassy/reflective, I like!!!

I was thinkin bout doing this, but I really want some clean ass LED tails so i'm going to wait and when I'm ready to buy the LED tails I'll probably do one or two light coats on them. It'll be different :D

Nice work.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
if you have a couple hours id do it on your set now too. it only cost me $11 bucks to do + the can would have enough to last for your LED set also

i got a secret project i wanna work on in my future with my tails.. led rings in both inner and outers, with a dual rings in the inners. small ring for reverse lights, big one for the "red" lights.. should look badass but id have to get another set of tails then figure out the wiring which could take a bit of thinking + time lol

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
lol yeah u shoulda gone aloottt darker
mine are as black as it gets and are 100%visible at night

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
well considering he only wanted them to be that dark, i think he did just fine...not everyone can pull off the blacked out cobalt...coughcough

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would have went darker lol
lol yeah u shoulda gone aloottt darker
mine are as black as it gets and are 100%visible at night
they look darker than what the pictures show cuz they are so glossy, but then again i didnt want them totally blacked out like your thinking

well considering he only wanted them to be that dark, i think he did just fine...not everyone can pull off the blacked out cobalt...coughcough
nice lol.. i had a feeling the law would prevent me from pulling off a blacked out cobalt which is why i did what i did. thanks though

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i did 2 average-light coats on mine and they are to the point where you can see a tinge of dark red in them depending on lighting. the key is just make sure they are clean before you paint. wash them with water, dry them, then wipe them with some sort of thinner, then wipe dry, then your good to paint without needing to sand or clear afterwords

also, it was about to rain here too and i got these done in around 3 hours from taking them out to installing them back in. nightshades dries fairly fast

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
if you have a couple hours id do it on your set now too. it only cost me $11 bucks to do + the can would have enough to last for your LED set also

i got a secret project i wanna work on in my future with my tails.. led rings in both inner and outers, with a dual rings in the inners. small ring for reverse lights, big one for the "red" lights.. should look badass but id have to get another set of tails then figure out the wiring which could take a bit of thinking + time lol
Yeah, I thought of that 'project' a while ago. Wanted to do led rings on the inners and outers like the G35/G37/GT-R. Problem is the stock headlights aren't good for that because on the outer parts of the ring the plastic is rippled to diffuse light and doesn't look as good when you put LED's. I want to get the aftermarket set that's already a bit smoked with the ring of LED's on the outer tails, then just modify the inner tails with LED rings, then put a coat or two of nightshade to smoke them a bit more.

And in response to ppl saying they would have gone darker, my friend had his balt's tails done (4-door) and I told him he'd get pulled over. He said 'nah' but guess what, I was right. Not even a week and he had been pulled over. I drive downtown. Lot, there's lots of finicky cops around. I wouldn't go darker for mine.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
lol mine are dark n i have had them for a month and a half w no problems
can see fine at night

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
its all about the clear coating, if you only vht them, they'll fade in a matter of weeks, however, if you know the right method, you can have them stay black gloss FOREVER!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.