Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission likes to buck/shake/jerk (difficult to describe) in 3rd gear. It will only do this in 3rd gear, all of the other gears have no problems at all. It seems to just do it in lower rpms (between 1200-1800) and only if i am cruising at that speed and not just accelerating through that gear.

Anyone else ever had this problem??

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hello xfe,

I am sorry to hear you are having this shaking concern with your transmission. If you would like for us to work with your Chevrolet dealership on your behalf in regard to this concern, please send me a private message. Be sure to include your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
278 Posts
Took it to my dealership for this exact issue. They had 4 people drive it, and said nothing is wrong. Something is def. wrong. They dont want to fix it under warrenty.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Do the rpms jump around too or no?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It's a manual.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
That doesn't make a difference to my question.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope, RPMs stay the same the whole time. even at ~35mph in 5th if i put my foot to the floor on the gas the clutch wont slip.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Are you using the correct Dexron fluid? You know the trans fluid creates a "whipping" effect and can cause the jerk your describing. Have you taken a peep at your transmission mounts? I would try to eliminate the easy parts before digging through a transmission.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Any unusual sounds?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car has 80k on her, and I will have to change fluid soon since it couldnt hurt. Transmission mounts should be fine, but when i get off work i will check them just in case. No unusual noises though.

What fluid will i need for the transmission?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Does it do it if you're cruising in 2nd at the same rpms?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does not do it in 2nd around the same rpms, but i will make sure to test it tonight to see if i can get it to do it in 2nd or any of the other gears.

and alright, atf it is. ill have to go pick some up this weekend and get it done while my buddy has an open lift.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Wait a second 3rd at that low of RPM's is like 18 MPH, why are you in 3rd?

Where are you even going that slow?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha yup, its about 20mph. But not by choice, my job and girlfriend are both in columbus so i get stuck with the traffic and low speed limits (plus ~2100 rpms in 2nd on a stock exhaust doesnt sound good cruising). I check trans mounts and they seemed solid enogh to me. Might just need a fluid change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.