Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up here on the iron range(MN), the one problem we have is rust from the road salt in the winter.

Whoever owned the cobalt before me must've liked dirt roads and powersliding because the whole rockerpanel undersides was full, I mean full, of chips and a big dent where someone tried to jack it up from at one point.

I decided to do something about it before winter rolled around. I used:

NAPA self-etching primer
NAPA Auto primer
Rustolium Bed Liner
36G Sanding sponge
Acetone to clean the surface before primer

It came out fantastic!!! I could take more pics, but the sun is in a bad spot(as seen on the photo)

What do ya think? Not bad, huh?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
looks nice & clean... I understand its for protection cuz salt really does take a toll on ur car & if it already had dents & dings & all that, it was just gonna spread!

Looks pretty good from what i can tell!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just something we have to deal with in MN....oh well. Looks different...if you were doing it for style, I'd say no way, but since I know where you're coming from, nice job.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Nice job, IMO it doesn't look bad! If it were me though, I wouldn't have gone up the side skirt. But this should definitely prolong the life of your car!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear mudflaps too?
I know, I got'em from the dealership. I'm going to get front ones soon, the rear ones just keeps dirt off the sides of the bumper.

This isn't a style thing, it's a preservation thing. If you don't take measures to fight potential rust spots, you'll never get ahead of it. Most trucks up here are rhino lined, like, a foot and a half from the bottom. Way too much.

With mine, I just followed the lower body line, nice and clean.

Plus, the factory paint was flaking off for some unknown reason at the bottom of the driver's side door, now it's better than factory(I hope).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.