Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my 2006 Chevy Cobalt on morning and it cranks and cranks but won't turn over! The battery is fully charged, all the connections are tight and no corrosion, we bought a new starter, new coil pack, and new spark plugs and it still won't turn over. We ran a computer diagnostics and no codes came up. All the electronics still work, radio, lights, etc. Tested the ignition switch and it's fine as well. There is fuel pressure and nothing wrong with the fuel pump...At a dead end and have NO idea what is wrong with it. Please help!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you check ignition 1 voltage fuse?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuse's are good and there is no security light flashing and already tried the 30 min 3 cycle security reset and that didn't help. Change the Crankshaft position sensor today and still won't turn over.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
When you checked the fuses, did you pull them out of their slots or just did a test light check?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Does it fire at all? Maybe you jumped timing... If you have fuel and spark it should start unless they're not there at the same time. Did you ever hear timing chain rattle or chatter before this happened?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There were no sounds prior to this happening, just didn't start up one morning. It doesn't fire at all and the timing chain isn't broken. And we already replaced the crank position sensor and still nothing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I thought fuel and spark was pretty much all you needed. If your getting fuel you can usually smell it. So it has to be electrical I would think.

Not that this helps very much. I guess you have replaced a lot of components. It is easy to guess and replace but can be time consuming and expensive without actually trying to locate the real problem. Been there and done that.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Any solution yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fuel filter is good and it is getting fuel. Still no solution. Going to try to replace the ignition switch and if that doesn't work then it's off to the dealership because it's a completely dead end. (Trying to avoid dealership as it's 45+ mins away and will have to be towed)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm still wondering if your onboard security system (GM) took a dump. When they go...the motor will crank all day long, but no fire.

Keep us posted on your progress and findings...curious minds. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well one full month of working on the car and still no solution. Changed the ICM today and nothing changed. Car's about to go off of a cliff at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
May sound to simple. Is it manual shift, could it be the clutch peddle switch. I know on manual shift if you don't push in the clutch peddle the car will not try to start. Maybe the switch is bad and thinks the peddle has not been pushed. If it is manual shift, if auto the neutral safety switch. As I understand you turn the key and the starter does not turn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well we finally hauled it to a mechanic since we couldn't figure it out and turns out....It's the timing chain! Completely done for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.