Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here in south western Pennsylvania deer are very common. As I was driving home from work I was going about 5 over the speed limit(45), minding my own business when a deer jumps out right in front of me. Next to the road I was driving is a little bank that goes down next to a creek. The weeds grow up on the bank so you can barely see over to the little body of water. The damn deer jumped out from behind the weeds right into my lane about 20ft in front of me. I slammed on my brakes screeching to a halt.. and what does the deer do? Nothing! It just stands there looking at me, probably thinking about how funny my face was while I was thinking.... "oh no, my new(to me) car that I haven't even made one payment on is going to be totalled!" A moment like that is one where I wish I had a big steel bumper on it like my blazer had! :what:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Deer don't know the rules of the roads and they can't read. Do you think DOT placed a 45 MAX limit for no reason. You can read the deer can't. 20 feet is only a car lenght. At 50mph a Cobalt needs approximately 150 feet to stop after you apply the brakes. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going 45 and the limit is 40. Maybe I exaggerated on the distance by some feet. It definitely wasn't 150 feet. A car length is 20 feet? Not my car. I came to a stop too. Oh, Deer can't read?!Wow! I would have never known that, thanks for letting me know.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
glad you appreciate my humourous mood.

So it wasn't 50, it was 45. It wasn't 20 but not 150. Was it a deer or a racoon???

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't say I was going 50. I said I was going 5 over the speed limit. The parentheses is my speed.. 45 being my speed. I didn't get out and measure the distance, it was far less than 150. It may have been a unicorn though. IDT it was a raccoon.. it didn't have pink fur like raccoons do.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As the deers' shadow moves, when a passing car approaches, the shadow moving spooks the deer, and it darts out, then freezes as it is blinded by the headlights! I've smashed 2 of them, in 1995 and 2002, after which a state trooper suggested getting deer whistles, as they have effectively reduced state troopers car/deer collisions. I've used them since 2002 and not hit any since, even though the deer population in my ares of Wisconsin has increased!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
either those deer whistles don't do anything or my aunt has the worst luck in the world, she hit 10 deer in a few years, 6 of which were within a year after putting deer whistles on her car...... Oh, and I wanna hit a deer.....

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:eek: see!! Deer can read!. it's all the governments fault for telling the deer to cross there... if there was a cross guard directing the deer it would not have walked out in front of me!! LOL I can't believe that lady.. tell the deer to cross with the children!! Now we all need to help her out with making a change with the poor placement of deer crossing locations!! :D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I once had a deer run straight into the side of my car while I was stopped. You can imagine my shock when it didn't stay to exchange insurance information.

Irresponsible, I tell you.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You should listen to "deer crossing 2" where she realizes that the sign was for her. She's a good sport.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
shit where i am, we have moose, not deer, and the only way you're leaving is in an ambulance and your car on a wrecker

·
Registered
803 Posts
Deer don't know the rules of the roads and they can't read. Do you think DOT placed a 45 MAX limit for no reason. You can read the deer can't. 20 feet is only a car lenght. At 50mph a Cobalt needs approximately 150 feet to stop after you apply the brakes. Just saying.

its not often you need to be corrected and I really do hate to be the grammar police but something I learned young because deer are very common in wny as well, is that if it's one deer or a whole family they're just called deer. Deers isn't a word and idk why it does but that word bugs me lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.