Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as it basically states above im looking to get a 100 gallon fuel tank that i can take to the nearest town with e85 (1 hour away) to get 100 gallons and bring home and put in the garage so i can run e85 in my car and not drive an hour to get it!

NOTE: I do have means to use a fork lift at my house so unloading the tank from a truck and into the garage would be cake.

I wanna know though. is a fuel tank any diff from a regular 100 gallon tank that is stainless steel or regular steel. and would it need a fuel filter some how attached? I really dont wanna buy one with a pump and it run me close to 1k for the tank and pump when I could set it high enough to be gravity feed and have a valve at the end of the hose....

Ideas? Comments?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You can probably get that fuel delivered to your house if you have a properly certified tank for fuel. The inlet will need to be accessible with steps I imagine if you're going to have it up high.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'd be worried about insurance if I was installing a fuel tank that size in my garage... be sure to check you're still covered, just sayin...

You may be better off just getting a bunch of 5-gallon fuel cans. You could simply fill those up at the gas station and store them in your garage. VP racing fuels has a wide selection.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Pretty sure tank has to be outside a building or double hulled in the ground. But he wants to set it up high, I would mount it to the side somewhere outside.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I would think a furnace oil tank should work. Not sure how you're gunna fill it easily if its up high.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think a furnace oil tank should work. Not sure how you're gunna fill it easily if its up high.
well i wana put it somewhere accessible to my fork lift. my mom is a part owner in a shiping company right beside my house and the garage i wanted to use is huge but i just figured i should put it inside for the fuels sake? idk though i have seriously considered just gettin 5 gallon jugs

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

E85 is a waste in my opinion. Unless you support farmers.
well im running a fully built motor and a built trans so 93 isnt gonna meet the numbers im wanting....I aggree that stuff is poop in the fact that it gets no mileage, and is almost pure alcohol but if it will meet my needs power wise then im game

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
well im running a fully built motor and a built trans so 93 isnt gonna meet the numbers im wanting....I aggree that stuff is poop in the fact that it gets no mileage, and is almost pure alcohol but if it will meet my needs power wise then im game
Who told you this? Whoever it was is completely wrong. My evo is the first car I've EVER ran e85 in, and my buddy is still running on non e85 and he has around 800ish whp on his evo. You'd be surprised at how much power you can make with 93 oct, BUT you really have to dump a lot of fuel in for it to become able to run that much power (which the DI injectors on the cobalts can handle that much fuel). Besides, instead of wasting all that time and money getting a tank, getting it certified and traveling a ways to get the e85/having it delivered for a pretty penny, ect ect, just add a meth injection kit into your cobalt and call it good man. Meth is WAY cheaper, you don't burn NEAR as much, and you get the exact same gains as you do with e85 (up to a point but that point is WAY above your power wanting goal). Save yourself the money and hassle, stick with 93 and if you get close to the power you want to make and it starts becoming a little too unstable for 93 octane, just add methanol. Kits for those are like $300, are super easy to install and setup. And it's really cheap to buy (it's windshield washer fluid).

too easy, why don't have you a methanol kit already?

You're still reading this and haven't bought it yet??? :nuts::nahnah

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who told you this? Whoever it was is completely wrong. My evo is the first car I've EVER ran e85 in, and my buddy is still running on non e85 and he has around 800ish whp on his evo. You'd be surprised at how much power you can make with 93 oct, BUT you really have to dump a lot of fuel in for it to become able to run that much power (which the DI injectors on the cobalts can handle that much fuel). Besides, instead of wasting all that time and money getting a tank, getting it certified and traveling a ways to get the e85/having it delivered for a pretty penny, ect ect, just add a meth injection kit into your cobalt and call it good man. Meth is WAY cheaper, you don't burn NEAR as much, and you get the exact same gains as you do with e85 (up to a point but that point is WAY above your power wanting goal). Save yourself the money and hassle, stick with 93 and if you get close to the power you want to make and it starts becoming a little too unstable for 93 octane, just add methanol. Kits for those are like $300, are super easy to install and setup. And it's really cheap to buy (it's windshield washer fluid).

too easy, why don't have you a methanol kit already?

You're still reading this and haven't bought it yet??? :nuts::nahnah
gonna see what I boast with straight 93....Turbo Tim gave me an estimation of 420 at the wheels but considering he hasnt really messed with a precision turbo and didnt know what the turbo is rated for thats a safe estimate i figure so if its higher were like yay....lol IDk but id say ill find out monday or tuesday what it dynos

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
My buddy had a PTE (precision) 5857 turbo (one just shy of yours), on his 2.3l evo and put down 641whp.

That video was only 35psi, and at the end of the day he was at 40psi. If that tells ya anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy had a PTE (precision) 5857 turbo (one just shy of yours), on his 2.3l evo and put down 641whp.

Evo dyno run - YouTube

That video was only 35psi, and at the end of the day he was at 40psi. If that tells ya anything.
thats awesome was it on 93 and meth? im just wondering how well the motor would hold at 35+ psi for months to come cuz it will be a daily driver and I will be known to drive it spiritedly lol. i mean i have full confidence in the girdled block but I went to zzp asking for a street monster with at least mid 400's and would run just fine for years and this is where im at now.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
That was on e85 (as all he runs is e85 in his evo), but you can easily hit those numbers with pump gas and meth.

Just letting you know 35psi + on that turbo will be WAY more than 400whp, and you will really need to be careful with your tune at that point. Most people don't go above 30-35psi. I will be running almost 40 psi when I'm done, but I self tune and I have LOADS of experience tuning so I know what to look for to keep problems from happening.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was on e85 (as all he runs is e85 in his evo), but you can easily hit those numbers with pump gas and meth.

Just letting you know 35psi + on that turbo will be WAY more than 400whp, and you will really need to be careful with your tune at that point. Most people don't go above 30-35psi. I will be running almost 40 psi when I'm done, but I self tune and I have LOADS of experience tuning so I know what to look for to keep problems from happening.
yea i realize 35 psi will be way higher than 400whp lol i meant what you just answered in will 35psi be stable.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
35psi can be stable if your build and tune/mods will support it. You can run 35psi if you have enough fuel and cooling additives (meth) to keep the temps down far enough that you don't have any knock. Obviously with more boost, the higher your cylinder temps are and same goes with if you use higher compression ratio pistons. So you just need to be monitoring your temps and knock and as long as your knock isn't showing anything or anything that can be questionable, then your tune will be stable..

Just remember, the more boost/power you start making the more detrimental knock will be to your motor and the more devistating it will be if you don't have it under control. But all that goes into the hands of your tuner, so make sure you trust your tuner.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
just drive to leveecius' house and get him to do it. Sounds like a descent road trip

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I'm only an hour and a half from ZZP in Michigan :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.