Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright do I posted this in here instead of int&ext because this isn't for a cobalt...I have a buddy that just got a primed fender in for his silver eclipse and he wants mr to spray it...my question for all the guys who paint cars is should I blend it or not...and if soo how far back should I blend the color as well as the clear

·
Registered
911 Posts
if the whole fender is primed u can't blend it, u have to base the whole fender...if u mean blend into the door I would blend unless if its black or white...its no fun trying to butt a colour that isn't black or white
EDIT: seen just now when I reread it, its silver, I'd blend into the door...base the door about 2 inches away from the fender, clear and blend the rest...u may need to hi-light it after but might not have to...silver is a hard colour to match cuz there is so many alternates to that colour...just look at a silver cobalt (like mine) the bumpers don't match the rest of the car because they are painted at different plants and thusly use different alternates

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's what I meant blend it into the door and would I have to blend it into the hood too?

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Using rattle can or paint gun?
Gun..I'd never paint fender with a spray paint or any part of the body for that matter lol

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
No meant disrespect but I have to agree with cesar they would be able to match the color much better.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uhm i have painted auto parts before without blending and they turned out fine but i have never done it with metallic paint....just because i asked a question about blending doesnt mean i dont know what i am doing

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I'm not saying you don't know what your doing, I'm just saying if your questioning yourself, maybe it would be a good idea so you don't mess it up. If you took it to a paint shop some of the painters are nice enough to help u with what you don't understand yet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
idealy blending all adjacent panels would create the best color match (hood,door, bumper, a pillar post). Given your lack of experiance, id stay away from the hood if you can. You can probably stay away from the post and bumper as well. blending the door will be fine. you should try spraying what they call a "drop blend" across the door. Basically painting half the door diagonally. for example if its the passanger side door your color will ALMOST reach the far left bottom corner and just before the mirror closest to the fender. CAUTION: DONT SPRAY DIAGONALLY. what i mean is dont spray from the mirror to the bottom corner in a line.... start at the top of the door and go right to left to kind of "fan out" the line

silvers tend to have dark sidetones causing them to look darker than they really are. also to add to what eyesore said about bumpers, rather than the alternates being an issue, colors tend to appear different depending on the material for example bumpers, fender flares mirrors etc...can all look different cause theyre plastic, where the metal panels look better to eachother. ive done cars where i finished a whole side and the bumper looks different than the fender, even though i used the same paint the same time i was spraying the fender... so things happen.

and no matter how obvious it is or how much you think you wont do it... DONT HIT THE MIRROR , not when your puting the base down and ESPECIALLY with the clear... and if the silver starts looking cloudy or "mottling" (basically like black clouds or streaks in the paint) then try pulling the gun alittle further away from the panel or speed up the pass... silver is a PIA definatly not a good starter color lol

any questions feel free to ask... take your time and be careful use your brain and it should go fairly easy. good luck and post pics when your doin it

·
Registered
328 Posts
:laugh:

leave it to you to make a comment like that

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I take back what I have said, we have a painter on here willing to give you good advice, and practiclly a walkthrough. Good luck hope it looks good.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that's what I was looking for lone...advice...not people to tell me I can't do it because I'm asking a question, thanks for "taking it back" lol..but anyways thanks so much kill for the advice and I will ask if I need any help for sure. And I'll try to post pics when done

·
Registered
911 Posts
Good luck \m/...oh another thing that wasn't mentioned, if u want the best colour match, get it chromavisioned, it'll tell u what alternate to use

·
Registered
328 Posts
the vin usually gets a closer match, it picks the alternate from the factory but yes the chromavision works nice especially in a bind i only used the chromavision camera a time or two but its never let me down... i use the aquire rx camera at my work its not as good but gets the job done..if your going to a paintshop to get your paint or even the dealer for that matter youll need the manufactures date (MO/YR) the vin number and paintcode some mitsubishis have the badge in the drivers door jamb or on the door itself if its not there its under the hood on a metal badge probably close to or on the firewall.

also keep in mind that depending on how old the car is especially mitsubishi the paint could already be faded and worn out so when you paint the parts it can look real bad even if your color match is perfect then youll have to go back and "brighten up the car"

i did an old red volvo once did the fender and it was bright shiny red and the rest of the car was like a flat dull grey red. so we were then forced to polish the entire car to make it all match just something to keep in mind.

im always down to help someone so really, any question feel free to ask... and dont be afraid to check my DIY itll help alittle with prep. if i can help i will but if i dont know the answer sorry lol i dont know everything and theres a million ways to do this and everything else so yeaaaaaaa good luck!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Yeah that's what I was looking for lone...advice...not people to tell me I can't do it because I'm asking a question, thanks for "taking it back" lol..but anyways thanks so much kill for the advice and I will ask if I need any help for sure. And I'll try to post pics when done
I'ma douche sometimes, What I meant to say was get some advice from a pro.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha thanks again kill..I'm getting thenpaimt from a store called auto paint specialties...notnsure if they have a gun or not, it a little hole in the wall store that is rundown but it's the only place around here...I haven't had any problems there...

·
Registered
328 Posts
do you not have a gun? make sure your compressor dont shoot out oil or water youll get fisheyes and make sure it has a big enough tank ...one thing you dont want is pressure drop or even no pressure at all itll screw it up big time...

·
Registered
911 Posts
I spray at 20PSI, but thats my choice...was thinking today, no one mentioned DTM...are u gonna spray DTM on it before u base it? Think for silver its value shade 2 DTM. Are u using solvent-based or water-based paint? The reason why I ask these questions isn't because I'm nosey, just trying to help, been doing it for 5 years so any knowledge I have I like to share if it would benefit the other person

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.