Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a message on my heads up cluster saying check charging system...anyone had this before..
i have a evader hood with the hole in it and i think snow might of gotten in there and got something wet..i have changed the battery and alternator..the battery is a optimum and both were changed about a month ago..
any help would be great

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is not much in there that a little snow could hurt. Some owners spray their engines just to keep them clean. My guess is that your might have a bad connection at the battery or perhaps at the new alternater. I would check that first, then if you have a multimeter, connect it to the battery post. It should read approx 12.6 volts with nothing on and then get a someone to start the engine. You should see the reading go up to about 14 volts with the engine running about 1500 rpm of above.

Also, which model of Optima battery did you install and did you have to lay it sideways? When in went on their site all the batterys were about 1/2 inch too tall for the Cobalt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yellow top..and i didnt have to lay in on its side..i have a customer stereo my subs and box are built into my floor..fit in there perfect

found the problem the belt broke..replaced it and its like new...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Optima battery

OK thanks, and I'm glad you found the problem. I wanted to replace my battery with a Otpima when needed. My Cobalt is a 2010 so for now my batt. is almost new. When I measured the battery it seemed a little less high than the Optima and since the top of the battery kinda supports the floor of the trunk I was concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.