Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help disabling the anti theft system of my car,or relearning the car or something.yesterday had the fuse box out of the car because i had taken it out to replace blown fuses and couldnt see well by laying on the floor of the car.i took it out with the battery unplugged.now i have it back in and the car wont start.i turn the key to on and the anti theft light comes on (car with lock icon)ive checked and everything is plugged in securely and good.i try to start it and you just hear a click coming from that fuse box.similar to the click you would hear in a dead car,so i charged the battery,still have the same issue.ive tried the relearn process idk how many times,and still nothing,i did notice on all of the relearn processes i read they all said the light should stay on for 10 min then come off then you turn it off then turn it back on til it turns off again two more times,well my light only stays on for only a few min,and ive tried doing it with the 10 min,andalso just going off when the light goes off.ive reset the computer and nothing.really could use some help/guidance on what to do next.would have it towed to a dealership and everything but seeing as i cant afford that its kind of out of the question.is there any kind of security switch i can hit or that needs hit,similar to the safety nuetral switches other cars have that may cause this.anything at all would be very appreiciated

·
Registered
429 Posts
ok,ill try,couldnt hurt.hopoefully it does work tho

pmd Coby7

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

crank relay did not work

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

if anybody has any other ideas,i would be very appriciated,even if they are kind of long shots,im willing to try just about anything at this point

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Removing "BCM" should not effect anything if battery is previously disconnected.

Which fuses were blown to begin with?

What didn't work before removing "BCM"?

Did these fuses blow again?

Did you check the underhood fuse block for blown fuses.?

Might have blown the ECM/TCM fuse.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wipers,ac (fans work but not ac),rear defrost,steering wheel buttons,the ac vents stay on the defrost setting no matter where i put them,and it says service air bag,and i think thats it,they were blown because i was rewireing my amp and accedently short cicuited the battery cable,i had the negative disconnected but i looked back thre and i found it sitting on the ground,had this problem before a few years back and after a huge thing where they replaced the bcm,and that didnt fix it,they replaced a fuse and it was fine,except a engine light was on because they didnt program the bcm correctly or something,but it ran and drove fine.but,no the fuses didnt blow again,i didnt have this problem with the anti theft before i took the fuse boxes out.i was looking up what would have blown to cause all those to blow and a lot of it pointed to the bcm2 fuse,witch i replaced,but after all said and donethe anti theft wont go away,and none of those things are still working,so it must be a different fuse,altho i did replace all of them in the one under the dash just to be safe

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe you inserted fuse in wrong slot. Take a picture maybe I can help!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just checked the ecm/tcm fuse,sure enough it was blown,car literally started right up,must of accedently put one of the blown fuses back in,ill see if any of the other problems pursue,like,a/c,power steering,the buttons and wipers and all that,then might need your help figureing out witch fuse that is,lol.but thanks a ton guys,at least now my car isnt stuck at my grandparents anymore,lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Good show! Have fun and try not to panic....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok,got out to check on all that,still no wipers,ac,rear defrost,power steering,and says service air bag.now i know that is a fuse somewhere,just dont know what or witch fuse.last time i took it in for the exact same problem and the thought it was the bcm,they changed it out,no go,only to put the original back in and find out it was a fuse,and ended up makin me pay 300 dollars for a 12 dollar fuse altho i told them to check those first.and thats what they did after the bcm mixup and they found one and it fixed it,i tried calling them to see witch fuse they replaced last time and they said all the paper work said is they replaced a fuse,but not witch one,so,heres another question,what fuse or relay or anything would keep those from working,cuz i figure they all must have to run under the same circuit,or fuse or something.if i can get this fixed ill be golden,lol.thanks a ton tho guys for helping me narrow down why it wasnt starting

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Those fuses are in the underhood fuseblock.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
sadly cant take pictures,but unless the spares are important and go to that,then they are in the right place,ive checked that enough times to know that,lol,just nver double checked the fuses to see if they were good,which explains the last issue,but i just got done rechecking all the fuses and locations of each and every fuse and they are all fine and where they are supposed to be,so im thinking there has to be something in the fuse box under the hood,unless there is a relay in the dash fuse box that controls that,or relays or fuses i dont know about in other locations,might reset the computer just to see if that helps at all

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Wiper fuse is underhood 25 amp. Rear window defog is underhood also @ 40 amps.

When you blow stuff you don't fool around do you???!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i checked all the larger fuses,like the eps,air pump,abs,bcm2 and 3 and all those kinds of fuses seem fine.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

nope,well when anything goes wrong i would like to get it fixed right as quickly as possible and as good as i possibly can,plus i would like to stay away from shops to the best of my ability.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

found it,found a fuse blown,was called ip ignition?anyways its a 20,i replaced it,now the car is back to being golden aside from the dome light not working cuz i had to use that fuse for the ecm/tcm but its not big deal,never use it anyways,and i can get another for it when i want,lol.just glad to see the car is back to the original state.thabk god,i dont need a tow truck or have to go to the shop,lol. again thank you everybody for all your help,spent hours last night tryin to think what was wrong,cant thank you guys enough.finally something good this week,lol.but if anybody ever has multiple things go out and it says service air bag,now we know,check the ip ignition fuse,lol

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You should replace all the spare fuses as soon as you can because next time you might be stranded.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.