Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today I go to change the Drivers control arm and I have these before. So I thought this was going to be a bolt off bolt on and done and NOPE! **** the bolt is now about 1/4 the way out and now I guess the cage bolt is let go and just spinning and I don't have a lift and can't really get in there I can get my hand and there and feel the bolt spinning.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You will probably need to weld the bolt to the cage and try again!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I broke the cage off and use a 1" ( 99% sure) open ended wrench to hold the nut. Worked mint.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I also had to bend a little piece of metal just a bit to get my wrench in. I used a full wrench

·
Registered
153 Posts
I didnt have a 1" wrench that fit when I replaced mine, so I ended up cutting the control arm out, and lifting the bolt out through the top. Terrible design in my opinion. Make sure you add plenty of anti-seize when you reinstall the bolt.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I greased mine and soaked the nut and end of the bolt with undercoating. Replaced the bushing again and it came out perfectly. Still had to hold the nut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still can't get it **** sakes

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

So when I get it off how the hell will I get it back in

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Just reach your fingers up and hold the top of the nut and get the bolt started, then put your wrench on the nut and tighten.

Oh one more thing, it's not a nut like you're thinking of it, it's more of a rectangular piece of steel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya it's like driving me insane ate I cut the end off a 1 inch wrench oped end I have even grinded the hell out of the sides for more clearance and still can't get it

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't weld that close to your car if you're not sure, or have a fire hose on standby.
Raise car. Tie up the radiator and drop subframe. The engine will be supported by upper mounts.
Then you can use all the heat you want or sawzall the bolt out.
You will need new nut and bolts anyway.
h t t p://w w w .c o b a l t s s.net/forums/suspension-67/powells-take-replacing-bad-control-arm-bushings-301627/

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

The square nut could be spinning because of a busted cage, if you have been trying for a while the threads on nut/bolt are likely fubar.
Plus your sleeve could be rusted tight on the bolt.
Just drop the frame.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My sleeve was rusted tight to the bolt and I had to burn the rubber out and then heat and cool the sleeve with a torch.

First time my old cobalt had bushings done took me a ridiculous 7 hours. But it was a Sunday and I couldn't just cut the bolts out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.