Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this is my own fault for putting off so long to buy a new lower grille, but friday im leaving to go on a long distance trip and i need to take the interstate, after losing my lower grille, any time i go over 45 mph my car starts to vibrate cuz of the wind going into it... i guess. but anyways does anyone know of a quick and cheap way to fill the hole in the lower grille to prevent this from doing it. btw i have the sport or the lower grille is just like the ss.
thanks for looking and if you have any ideas pleasee let me know

Before:

after:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
auto or manual?

if manual, cardboard/plastic, and zip ties...lol
very short term and UGLY, but for a road trip, it will help.

if auto...not sure as your car needs that open to cool off the transmission if I'm not mistaken.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I think there is a bigger issue than the bumper not having the grille.
kinda thinking the same. vibration isn't just air. are you sure everything's hooked up right? isnt there some brackets the ss bumper needs to fit secure everyone always forgets?

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
DO NOT fill that hole. You have an automatic transmission. Covering your lower grille can cause your transmission to overheat. You need to replace it before taking a trip like that.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there is a bigger issue than the bumper not having the grille.
thats what i thought but we had a professional look at everything and balance and alignment and it still happened sooo im guessing the problem is the lower grille

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
DO NOT COVER the opening with cardboard.

Like I said...if your car is "vibrating" at certain speeds, it is not because you are missing the lower grille.

Could be a tire out of balance, bent rim, or something else...i dunno

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i WONT cover it with cardboard! lol but i could have sworn that i read something about mesh or something like that to take the place of a grille

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
that wouldn't make a difference though. it wont stop or hinder air flow it'd still go through it...if anything I'd say it'd make the vibration worse. (if the vibration has anything to do with the bumper)

·
Registered
274 Posts
sorry darling but having an open grille will not cause a vibration. Usually road vibrations are caused by things out of balance, installed incorrectly, bad wheel bearings, but never just airflow. I see you are in VA, as am I. If you want, I would be happy to go for a ride-a-long and I can tell you whats wrong then. And, of course, help you fix it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry darling but having an open grille will not cause a vibration. Usually road vibrations are caused by things out of balance, installed incorrectly, bad wheel bearings, but never just airflow. I see you are in VA, as am I. If you want, I would be happy to go for a ride-a-long and I can tell you whats wrong then. And, of course, help you fix it.
yeah but you live probs 3 or more hours away

·
Registered
274 Posts
143 miles, or about 1.5 hours.

Have you had the rims off recently? Some shops will tighten the first lug nut to spec which can warp the rim and cause a vibration.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take it to another shop because clearly that first shop doesn't know what they were supposed to be looking for.
ughhh i hate my life haha jk, but if i cant get it in fast enough do you think that going at speeds over 60 for like an hour and a half wont hurt my car, or should i just give up on taking it?

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

143 miles, or about 1.5 hours.

Have you had the rims off recently? Some shops will tighten the first lug nut to spec which can warp the rim and cause a vibration.
nope

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you will be fine driving it on your trip. However, a better description of what your experiencing might help with the online diagnosis.
ok good. but idk how to describe it like it makes a noise that sounds like a vibration but it doesnt actually vibrate, nothing shakes either, and its only once i hit 45 and above. and it jsut started happening after i hit that (excuse my language) F****** piece of S*** raccoon. lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
ok, so now we are narrowing it down. you struck a living animal, which caused undercarriage damage. You mention speeds over 45 which leads me to believe you may have knocked your exhaust shield loose. Everything else under the car is solid. engine, transmission, mounts, exhaust, suspension, all solid components.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, so now we are narrowing it down. you struck a living animal, which caused undercarriage damage. You mention speeds over 45 which leads me to believe you may have knocked your exhaust shield loose. Everything else under the car is solid. engine, transmission, mounts, exhaust, suspension, all solid components.
correct. but i dont know if all that stuff is ok, i didnt check it

·
Registered
274 Posts
if you damaged the engine or trans, you would see a fluid leak. If anything else I mentioned broke, you wouldn't move the car very far at all. :)

To be safe, I would have a shop check it out. And make it a point to tell them you did hit an animal and you are going on a long distance drive, alone. Mechanics dont want pretty women on the road, alone, in an unsafe car. They WILL find the problem !!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you damaged the engine or trans, you would see a fluid leak. If anything else I mentioned broke, you wouldn't move the car very far at all. :)

To be safe, I would have a shop check it out. And make it a point to tell them you did hit an animal and you are going on a long distance drive, alone. Mechanics dont want pretty women on the road, alone, in an unsafe car. They WILL find the problem !!!
haha alright thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
i'd get a aluminum mesh material from home depot $10-$20 you could get it at autozone too but its smaller piece for like $40 its the same thing it just has a nice looking box with a bumper drawn on it and maybe comes with stickers lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.