Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my girlfriend an after market radio for her car ('05 Cobalt) and i tried to install it but i couldn't figure out how to hook up the red ignition wire??? Anyone here have any experience with that?:confused:

I've installed lots of stereos myself before but i never came acrss a wire harness that did not have ALL the wires within the clip, that is where i drew a blank...i just have no idea where to hook up that cable...any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED :-D

·
Registered
192 Posts
you're gonna have to tap into a constant power source for that. most people buy an item called add a circuit. it hooks into a fuse slot in the fuse box and has a wire attached so you can basically add a circuit. most use the windshield wiper fuse

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're gonna have to tap into a constant power source for that. most people buy an item called add a circuit. it hooks into a fuse slot in the fuse box and has a wire attached so you can basically add a circuit. most use the windshield wiper fuse
So i just choose any empty slot in the fuse box and insert it in there? I actually saw one of those at a n auto zone today and i talked to a guy there and he told me that it wouldn't work. When i first saw it i thought it was perfect but then he busted my bubble...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can use the wiper fuse location, you can find it the the amp DIY i made :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Make sure you are hooking up the right power wire, there will be a 12v constant and a 12v ignition, the constant is for memory settings and the ignition is where the stereo can only be turned on with the ignition on.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, the one i needed help with is the red 12 vold ignition cable, not the constant one (that one is yellow)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, use the wiper fuse i mentioned, it is only active when the car is on

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much I really appreciate all the help. You guys are awesome! :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So did you get it done?...
yeah i did it...i had to wait a little bit cuz the car started acting up. I did have one quick question though. I got that part and installed it just like you guys said, but on that part there are two slots for fuses, do i put a fuse in both or just one of them?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10amp fuse in both
Thanks. I wasn't sure about that because i did put two 10 amp fuses in there but i noticed that after i installed it and finished the cars "check engine" light came on. Like i said there have been a few problems with the car lately so it could've been unrelated to the install but I still felt a little nervous that maybe it had something to do with something i did... I suppose time will tell

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do your wipers still work? (if not then the adapter is in the wrong plug :))

·
Registered
768 Posts
Make sure you are hooking up the right power wire, there will be a 12v constant and a 12v ignition, the constant is for memory settings and the ignition is where the stereo can only be turned on with the ignition on.
I've done that before......Put it all back together looked really nice and really clean and then I had to take it all apart again. lol. Now I try everything before I put it all together. haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.