Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i have to buy an aftermarket radio i will, but honestly i find most of them to look tacky, i like the look and feel of the factory radio.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The 05-06 factory radio's have a different harness than the 07+. They can't be swapped anyway.

I would go aftermarket.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well then i wont buy an o7 radio. i will look around for a nice looking aftermarket radio. but i might just get that adaptor i linked to, it lets me keep the factory radio and have an aux input.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah I agree, the factory radio for Cobalts (at least in my 07) look fairly nice, while the cheaper aftermarkets appear rather tacky.

It's really just a personal opinion, if you'd want to sacrifice appearance for practicality.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea im gonna go to some shops intown, look for a nice aftermarket radio and ask them about options for an aux input with the facory radio. but if i cant find one ill buy that item from the link and install that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wouldn't waste that much money on an adapter that allows you to plug in stuff. That's just a waste of money. You can find aftermarket head units that have aux. in, USB ports, ipod adapters, or a number of other features. Almost ANY aftermarket head unit is going to be better than your factory unit. Be advised that you should upgrade speakers down the road somewhere as the factory speakers aren't meant to handle the amount of power aftermarket head units will provide.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a touch screen would be nice, lol i want one now, but would the controls on the steering wheel still work?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
a touch screen would be nice, lol i want one now, but would the controls on the steering wheel still work?
I really doubt that they would, and personally, it wouldn't matter to me, since I rarely use the steering wheel controls for the radio. If you do look for a touch screen though, be willing to shell out at least an extra $300.

·
Registered
720 Posts
No aftermarket head unit will work with the steering wheel controls WITHOUT an adapter that allows it. You would have to buy the head unit, the adapter (harness) for steering controls, along with the mounting kit, harness for the aftermarket head unit, etc.

It's not going to be cheap going aftermarket, but you get what you pay for....the sound quality is SO much better.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
most likely not. because only a select few aftermarket stereos that arent screens even work with them and you have to buy a special adapter. plus, you get a controller for it so it still is easy to use.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea the touch screen is gonna have to wait. see the thing is that this is my first car. im turning 16 and my mom bought me a 2005 yellow cobalt. i asked for a manual transmission because theyre the funnest to drive i think. (my mom said she wouldve bought me a brand new car if it was an automatic so then she could drive it). i have to pay for insurance tho, and i have to pay for full coverage. so shelling out lots of money for an aftermarket sterio is not gonna happen right now. so im prolly gonna get the part i linked to and install it myself. wish me luck

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
good luck man, but personally i'd just buy an fm transmitter if you're going to do that, lots cheaper and will still let you listen to the music. that way you save money for a good stereo man. thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You shouldn't need luck...remove stereo...unplug harness, plug in what you are buying, put stereo back in....should take you 15-20 minutes max. Also, I agree with ^. You can get a pretty nice FM transmitter for less than $100.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im not too fond of fm transmitters, never really work for me. and do most cobalts have pioneer speakers in them? cuz i looked at one that i couldve got, and it just had what seemed to be regular speakers, and then i saw that the one i got had pioneer speakers in all the same places and then a pioneer subwoofer in the trunk that wasnt in that other car.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well unless you have the pioneer package you have stock acdelco crap speakers. the only way you have pioneer speakers is if you bought the pioneer package *idk what model balt you have so thats the most i can do for you*

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well then the car must have the pioneer package lol. im also really thinking about painting the trim. i want yellow trim. is this kind of thing hard to do?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.