Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I recently picked up an 06 LT Coupe with the pioneer system with the subwoofer in trunk......My ? is what are the speaker specs and sizes I plan to swap them out to higher level pioneers buy want to know what size I can replace them with. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
The Cobalt audio system was professionally designed and sound tuned by Pioneer audio engineers. The goal is to have bass you can feel (output down to 30Hz) and high output with low distortion.

The Pioneer system consists of 7 speakers and an amplifier:

Shark Fin 0.75" Tweeters
Front Door 6" HSS Speakers
Rear Shelf 6x9 ERS Speakers
Dual Voice Coil 10" Subwoofer
6 Channel Analog Amplifier

1" Tweeters: The location of these tweeters is on the a-pillar "shark fin". This location was chosen due to its perfect alignment with the driver's ear level.

6.5" ERS, Extended Range Speakers in the front doors offer extended frequency response. This provides smoother high frequency response, adds clarity, and enhances the vocal portion of your music source.

10" Dual Voice Coil High Excursion Subwoofer for higher output and less distortion. This subwoofer operates using a dual voice coil in a 2-Ohm load, to produce clean deep bass response for all types of music. The woofer also incorporates the latest speaker cone technology called Pioneer IMPP (Injection Molded Poly Propylene) to prevent the speaker cone from flexing or breaking up. This results in smoother output. In addition it has a bumped back plate for longer woofer movement. The subwoofer will not bottom out, and has higher output capabilities compared to standard subwoofers.

Enclosure for subwoofer is located in the left rear section of the Cobalt's trunk. This 18 liter size molded enclosure was specially designed and accurately sound tuned to work with the woofer and provide extended smooth deep bass response. This allows subwoofer to play low frequencies.

6-Channel High Power Amplifier

270 watt peak output power
2-Channels front tweeters
2-Channels front door speakers
2-Channels for 6 x 9" speakers with bridged mono channel for the 10" subwoofer
2-ohm stable
Class-AB operation
Low distortion output

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Conceptually, hypersonic sound (HSS) systems do to sound what laser technology does to light - focus sound into a tight beam that can travel great distances without dispersing. HSS systems can create sound that is meant only for a certain individual(s), not for everyone who just happens to be in the vicinity.

HSS Speakers versus Conventional Speakers
A conventional sound system is comparable to light bulbs. Speakers broadcast sound waves indiscriminately over a wide area - just as a conventional light bulb emits light indiscriminately over the whole room. HSS systems, on the other hand, are comparable to spotlights. HSS speakers focus sound waves to just one particular spot - just as a spotlight focuses the light beam to just one particular area.

How HSS Speaker Systems Work
The principle underlying HSS technology was first described by 18th century Italian composer, Tartini, who found that if one plays two different tones loudly at the same time, a third tone is produced which has a frequency that is the exact difference of the frequencies of the other two.

HSS systems apply the 'Tartini principle' electronically and use ultrasonic sounds that are beyond the range of human or animal hearing. HSS sounds are actually a combination of two sound waves: a 'carrier' wave with a frequency of 200,000-hz, and a second wave in the 200,020 to 220,000 hz range. Subtract the latter from the former and you get sound in the 20 to 20,000 hz range - which is the actual audal range of human beings: deep bass notes (20-hz) to shrill, 'high notes' at 20,000-hz.

The sound waves emitted by HSS systems are tightly focused. Since they are at a range that is not audible to humans, they are not heard until the waves encounter an obstacle - a wall, vase, door, or person. At this point, the carrier wave 'drops out' and only the audal sound is heard.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
true that!!! well at least my tweeters and sub location are all set up i think ill just go all out and splurg on it ill post pics once im done!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.