Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 2.4 cobalt ss no sc or tc and its an 07. was runnin a 75 shot nitrous and the fool at o'reillys sold me 2 steps hotter plugs instead of colder so it fowled one and it chewed up my exhaust valves so took the head and everything off and got a new one and in the process of putting it back together but if anyone has any idea how to retime these ecotecs i could use some tips??? thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
shitty deal! as far as i know the timing is in the tune. might have to get a tune now. i could be wrong though... running nitrous, i guess your not concerned about warranty. so no worries there. if you have ss/sc you could use hp tuners, or trifecta. and there is a guy on cssn that makes nice tunes also. if your 2.2 trifecta is your only option. if im wrong, someone please set me straight. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah dont have a warranty on it so no worries there but i just mean as far as putting the timing chain back on and getting it set in all the right teeth and stuff so i dont bend a bunch of valves with the wrong timing

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
His tune will be fine.. But honestly I have no clue when it comes to timing. Try ecotecforum.com they are amazingly knowledgeable when it come to engine internals,timing,tuning, etc..

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
yeah dont have a warranty on it so no worries there but i just mean as far as putting the timing chain back on and getting it set in all the right teeth and stuff so i dont bend a bunch of valves with the wrong timing
oh i got ya. you could also get a service manual from crate engine depot, and that would tell you what position your valves should be when putting the chain back on. the book isnt cheap though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i was lookin at that to...there a pretty penny, and i dont think they even have a haynes manual for it yet, dunno if that have those specs in those things anyway

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
yeah haynes are pretty vague. they usually cover to many years to be specific. ive been wanting a service manual for a while. but im gonna wait until i do more serious work(or get some cels/indicators) to spend the 150 bucks. for what im doing now the internet, and winging it seem to be just fine.:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
i would call chevy dealer and explain the situation and ask a mech whats needed.....
depends on the chevy mechanic. a couple years ago i went into my dealership and talked to some of the techs about random things. and i came to the conclusion that i knew more about my cobalt than he did. he didnt even know what sai was, and he didnt even know that gmpp made an exhaust for cobalts! it was kinda scary! thats about the time i stopped giving a shit about my warranty. :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.