Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
preferably from people who have experience. I am looking to get into autocross/track racing in the areas around VA. I have looked into it and saw that it is definitely something i will be able to do. What i am looking for opinions into, is where i start with the modifications to my car. Would it be better to start with suspension and handling mods or should i concentrate more on the power mods or is this something that i should not plan until i get a really good feel for the car on the track? i am looking for this to be a multiple year build and i will be willing to save for a while. hoping to go f/i eventually so i am carefully mapping out my modifications. But the big question is where to start. This car could eventually turn into a track only car but for now it will be track and my everyday driver. if anyone has experience in SCCA racing i would greatly appreciate your feedback and/or experiences. And if anyone has modifications that they would HIGHLY recommend then please do so here as well. THANK YOU YOURCOBALT.COM POPULATION

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I was just going to get into them this year, but my hood is the only damn thing stopping me from running in the class i want to run in. It sucks! WTF is a hood going to make a difference??!?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I know there are certain rules and regulations that depending on your mods will make you be in a different class, and the smallest things can bump you one class. But since Auto cross racing is manily about the handling i would start with suspension mods.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just going to get into them this year, but my hood is the only damn thing stopping me from running in the class i want to run in. It sucks! WTF is a hood going to make a difference??!?
wow daman that really sucks bad. maybe if you talked to some of the officials there they will let you enter a lower class. cuz otherwise youre gonna be in the highest listed class. and last time i checked it was full of corvettes, evos, and stis. good luck beating them with the balt haha no offense.
-----Added 2 Apr 2009 at 09:14:22-----
and thanks for the input chester

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
yeah man.. It bums me out! I won't do it if i have to compete against a god damned evo!
Daman, have you ever thought of tossing your old hood back on your car just for the event?????

as for the OP, i do alot of rally cross, and suspension is of the utmost importance

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would start off with a set of nice sticky tires, its going to be costly for them but grip is what counts, Then get started on the suspension components such as upgraded struts with Eibach springs or just get a full set of coilovers. Down side to coilovers is the ride quality isnt thatgreat but if you plan on turning this car into a strictly track car then im sure it wont matter, but since you said you wanna use it as a daily driver and track car for now you have alternatives. I would do the SS shocks/struts with the Eibach Sportlines, not only do they lower your car and make it look better but they adapt to the driving that you are doing, so when driving it hard on the track they will be able to keep the performance. Next i would get the DC Carbon strut bar for the front two strut towers for more stability and less body roll, Neverenoughauto.com has a nice rear anti sway bar made from Progress and it is offered at a great price. These are a few components to start you off, hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Forget about power mods, and honestly lowering your car isn't going to help alot either. It's a looks thing soley and just because the car is lower doesn't mean it will actually handle better. If you really want to go there get some good coil overs. I'm talking fully adjustable, not the cheapy 1000$ most people buy. They do not offer the adjustments you need to really make a car stick, they are purely for show.

Chester's suggestion of sticky tires is spot on. It's the most important part of the equation. After that you need to tackle body roll because it throws off your center of gravity and can cause the tires to lose grip. Rear sway bars are a must on any FWD competition car because it will help bring the rear end around in tight corners.

Pick up the book "Tuned to Win" by Carrol Smith. It tells you how to modify and set up a car for racing. It's truly been priceless in my jump from the drag racing world to road racing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks IMA honestly i was excited to see you posted in my thread cuz i knew you would have some good advice haha. The tires are second on my list after sway bars and i will be picking up this book this week since you recommended it! thanks again!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys i decided to attend an SCCA race today and check it out, see what its all about, get some tips. It was pretty cool, made a small music video that i will try to post up in a little bit. made a VERY large decision today that my cobalt will not be running on the track. I have decided to find me a beater car with an AWD platform to work with. hopefully a fairly old WRX or an eclipse. so thanks for the input guys and i am going to take all of the above recommendations into consideration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.