Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
wont work TB is for cavalier with a cable driven throttle body... cobalt's are drive by wire... unless i'm an idiot and that drunk... personally though u'd be better off tryin to buy a spare throttle body taking it to a performance shope and gettin it done for cheaper

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you do the 2.4 intake mani swap, you should also be able to do the 2.4 throttle body swap. I don't remember the details for that swap, but look around on the internet and you should find some info for it. You really don't need to go bigger than that...you can always port the 2.4 TB though.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The 06 and 07 2.4L in the Cobalt uses a larger 1-piece plastic intake that flows more than the 2.2 intake. You can buy a complete kit from "Crate_Engine_Depot.com (take out the underscored spaces). You just reuse your 2.2 throttle body -- if you use the 2.4L TB without tuning for it the ECM goes into a limp mode because the ECM will "see" more air than it expects with the throttle blade % and senses an intake leak. limp mode MAY get you home...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wait on MRZ to actually update their throttle bodies,we have electric tb.If you want to as well get your throttle body ported for I believe its between 50 dollars to 100 bucks.Also you can get the 2.4 throttle body from www.gmpartsdirect.com,where its around 85 dollars or 90 dollars.Just make sure to get the right TB though for the year car you have.Also when you do the 2.4 intake manifold swap first,you wont need a tune right away.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
well i have been trying to find a shop to bore out my throttle body so i just might do that eventually once i find one, say i do that, then what else is there for the 2.4 swap?
You will need the PCV plate too...the 2.2 and 08 2.4 doesn't have this plate -- goes between the two inner intake ports on the 06/07 2.4 manifold. Without it your engine will not idle right -- major vaccuum leak!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
As long as you use the 2.4 intake and your original throttle body you don't need to get a tune.

Maybe this will help you understand what we're all referring to:

The Ecotec TB is "drive-by-wire". If a massive leak were to occur (Such as a crack in the intake -- or a glitch in the throttle electronics kicks the TB wide open) the engine could just take-off on you. GM input safety parameters in the ECM software -- if the incoming air exceeds a certain amount expected at a specific throttle blade position the ECM will go into Limp-Mode to protect the engine and you. You don't ever want to see "limp-Mode" -- you may not get home... By using the 2.4 Manifold you allow the engine to breath better at higher RPMs...however, since you are using the original TB the amount of airflow stays within the calibrated levels.

That any help?

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ah gotcha, that does help, so also with this new manifold kit (i'd get the one from the crate depot site) i'd be set with that? then if i got my tb bored out or just a bigger one i would need a tune correct? also with this new manifold does that give me new headers? also how do i tune it?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
ah gotcha, that does help, so also with this new manifold kit (i'd get the one from the crate depot site) i'd be set with that? then if i got my tb bored out or just a bigger one i would need a tune correct? also with this new manifold does that give me new headers? also how do i tune it?
This is an INTAKE manifold. Not an exhaust manifold. If you wast a headeR, you'll need to buy one separately.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.