Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Some Advice Here on My 08 Cobalt with Coolant in Oil

19K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BankerBalt 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I need some advice here if possible. I have a 08 Cobalt with the 2.2 ecotec. About 8 months ago I started the cobalt and it would misfire for about 5-10 seconds then smooth out. It did this ever since then but only if it sat for hours (overnight etc). I suspected maybe a bad coil. Then after this, after it started and i would take off, i would hear a slushing sound. Then one day the car said cooling mode so I pulled over and let the car cool down, it was low on coolant so I added coolant and it was fine for about a month. It would still misfire at startup and make the slushing sound but wouldnt overheat. I would always keep my eye on the coolant and then one day it started getting hot again so i added more coolant and did this for about 2 months. I always kept my eye on the oil and now it is getting coolant in the oil. I figured it must be a bad head gasket so I ordered the gasket set. Ive been reading some how to's and came across a few threads saying that the water pump seal is a common issue for coolant getting in the oil. What would you guys say? Im just thinking its for sure the head gasket because of the misfiring which I think is coolant getting in the cylinders. Just dont want to put all this work into the head gasket and it not help. Thanks for any info

#2 ·
Take out your spark plugs and shine a light down the spark plug hole and see if there is coolant in the cylinders. If you do, then it's for sure a head gasket at the very least.

What color is your oil? Is it a peanut butter color? If so, then I would do the head gasket if there is oil/coolant in the cylinders, if not, then do the water pump.

#6 ·
A milky white sludge doesn't always mean coolant. Could be regular heat condensation because of a PCV valve not working properly. That's why I was asking about the color of the oil.

#7 · (Edited)
When my son thought he had a bad head gasket he was losing power and white smoke out of the exhaust. It turned out he had a cracked block. But not until after her took the engine apart and replaced all the gaskets. A lesson learned but he was not happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.