Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 2006 Cobalt LS for about 4 years now and it has treated me great up until about a year ago. When I'm doing highway speeds (65 - 80 mph), my front passenger tire (I think) starts to vibrate as if it were flat or had a rock or something in it. The vibrations increase when I hit my brakes, and by increase I mean cause the whole car to shake. I've taken it to mechanics and they've all told me they can't find anything wrong. I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems like these and if anyone has any idea how to fix it???

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the same thing happening to mine (2006 Cobalt LS). Except mine starts at 45ish on up and it also starts to shudder harder when I begin to brake. I just had the wheels balanced and rotated too btw. I'm starting to think it's a wheel bearing gone bad. They did say I have a dented rim but they said it wasn't throwing off the balance. I am changing the rim though just to be safe.

BTW, if anyone has a stock 15" rim for sale, please PM me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Could be warped rotors also mine had that issue and i changed out my rotors and pads and it was gone so thats still another possibility

·
Registered
195 Posts
Would that be appearant even when not braking? That had crossed my mind but my brakes are fairly new. Atleast I believe so back in Nov of 2009. Haven't drove it all that much and don't ever brake hard when I do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, the passenger side front tire would wobble between 60-75ish mph and the car would shudder under hard braking. It turned out to be a cracked control arm bushing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The brakes were supposedly checked when I had the car at the dealership to replace the door handle last week. When they did their "Courtesy Check" they marked them as good. I do plan on getting the car on a lift this weekend to do a full check on the suspension and I'll double check them then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Had the same problem too, turned out to be my rotors. Noticed it from the first day I bought the car (used) even though the dealer showed me their 115 point inspection which stated the rotors and breaks were fine. Yeah....not so much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
^ You can also check for uneven wear or cupping in your tires. Sometimes that can cause vibration.
I know the tires on the back are good because they are brand new, I'll have to check the ones on the front.

Had the same problem too, turned out to be my rotors. Noticed it from the first day I bought the car (used) even though the dealer showed me their 115 point inspection which stated the rotors and breaks were fine. Yeah....not so much.

Yea, I don't trust the dealers "inspections" or much else they do. I'll have to recheck them this weekend when I get some time off from work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could be warped rotors also mine had that issue and i changed out my rotors and pads and it was gone so thats still another possibility
I agree.. mine did the same thing and I took the rotors into a shop.. they were completely warped... so def something to look into

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you have snow where you live this could be the problem it happen to me all the time I just need to clean my rims... That's stupid but sometimes you search farther than it is like when you search your cellhpone but you're already talking to someone.:blink:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had that happen the last time it snowed. Some built up in the passenger front tire and it vibrated like the tire had blown. I just broke it off and all was well. I deffinately check the tires for ice and snow built up on the insides whenever it snows now.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
could be a bad tranny mount or loose strut to knuckle bolts. just a possibility. tires require a visual when on the balancer too. a lot of guys overlook that. sometimes the steel belts shift and even if the tire is electronically balanced it will still wobble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.