Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just found a melted wire in my engine bay. There are two wires that are twisted together, one is yellow and the other is purple, they are branched off the same loom as the mass air flow sensor. They go around the back of my engine and seem to go underneath.

Oh, I have a 08 cobalt base model. With the 2.2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My phone won't let me post pictures, if anyone would let me text or email them and they post it I would appreciate, my number is 706580822seven

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the purple wire should be for the DRLs (daytime running lights), and is used to create resistance allowing the DRLs to be less bright during the day, but the wire tends to heat up melting itself and any surrounding wires. I ended up carefully removing the melted purple wire and replaced it. Here's a link to a thread that could help http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/28455-drl-lights-not-coming.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are they in accordance to the loom? Were they exposed? Rewire them and put hest resistant loom on
They are in the passenger side of the engine toward the firewall. It is a smaller loom that branches of the larger loom that has the coil pack wires and the maf wires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the purple wire should be for the DRLs (daytime running lights), and is used to create resistance allowing the DRLs to be less bright during the day, but the wire tends to heat up melting itself and any surrounding wires. I ended up carefully removing the melted purple wire and replaced it. Here's a link to a thread that could help http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/28455-drl-lights-not-coming.html
Thanks for the assistance, I forgot to mention the wires didn't just melt, the loom was on the exhaust and melted against that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Move your loom away from the exhaust lol. Clearly that's the reason this happened
Haha yeah I kinda figured that, but I have already cut soldered and re loomed the wire, and I ran it a different way. I just wanna know what it's for. I got a p0171 code and wanted to know if it is contributing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I cleared the code, but it seems to randomly come back. Anywhere from 2 days too 6months.
I didnt have time today to check out where that part of the harness connects to, but i doubt its related, sounds like you just need to replace your o2 sensor. Is your car modified at all?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorta, I did the air box mod, and my exhaust has been cut right before where my muffler was. But it's been like that for 12k+ miles or to put it better since before I bought the car. At on point I had the code for o2 sensor 2 bank 1, but once I cleared the code it never came back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.