Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been fighting a misfire issue for over a year now, as most of ya'll know. Well, today, when I drove her to work, she was fine. Well, as fine as has been normal lately, considering the misfire. I parked her at work for 4 hours, and on my lunch, went to go to the pet store to get dog food. Didn't make it there. When I started her up, she cranked longer than normal before firing, and when she did fire, she was, and I kid you not, running louder than the 1972 pickup that my hubby is currently restoring. Buddy of my hubby's who's seen this before is saying timing chain/timing chain tensioner. Any other thoughts? No codes, no nothing. Also, could a bad timing chain or tensioner be causing my misfires? (I'm honestly hoping so, esp. if that's why she's louder than the 72...If I can kill 2 birds with one stone, that'd be GREAT!!!!)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well my friend Randy had a 2005 G5 with similar problems where, he changed practically everything sensor on the engine to try and find what the problem was. Last saturday he got mad and we changed the engine in it for a junkyard engine with only 58000Kms. Started at 10:30am and we were done by 5:30pm. If it hadn't been for a few stubborn bolts between transmission and engine up by the firewall we would have finished a lot sooner. Engine was 400$ beer and pizza about 40$. G5 now runs like new and he says it never ran as good even when it was new. Next saturday we are going to dismantle the old engine slowly and methodically to see if we can figure out what made that engine run so bad and what made it so tempermental.

I know this is not answering your question but this was his answer and cheapest solution. Of course we didn't cost him a lot. Most garages want 500$ just for diagnostic and to change a fuse:bigsmile:

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Oh, I forgot to mention about a 100$ for all new fluids and filter while we had it appart and drained.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid to go swapping engines. I know, it might fix it, but my luck with cars, the "new" one will have the same problem. Yes, I have that much of a jinx on me with cars. I've owned 4 vehicles since I was 17, and 1 was totaled in an accident, 2 blew head gaskets, and then my problems with the balt. My hubby has 2 mechanic buddies who can do the labor, and we added up my hubby's price for parts last night. (He's an independent contractor body guy but he gets the "shop rate". I know it's not a lot, but it helps in times like this.) Just parts (new timing chain, new tensioner, new valve cover gasket, and another gasket, but I can't remember the name at the moment) will be about $200, and he's got 2 buddies who we'd trust to do the job that will probably do it for 2-300 labor. Granted, it's money that we don't really have right now, but considering that one of the buddies told us that the shop he works for just did another one on a Balt for $1200, I'll take it. :) As far as the diagnostic scanner, my hubby has one, but it's older and doesn't work on my car, but that can be borrowed from the guy he works for. For some reason, his "boss" (for lack of a better term) is generally a hard-ass, but when it's got to do with my car, he's a total softie. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
For some reason, his "boss" (for lack of a better term) is generally a hard-ass, but when it's got to do with my car, he's a total softie. :)
Must be your good looks!!! :love:

Are you guys sure it's the chain? I mean it sounds like the chain, what kind of mileage? Did you do regular oil changes?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
hey coby how difficult was changing out the engine? I can get a low mileage 2.2 here for around $400 as well, then swap forged internals into it, then swap it into my cobalt for more boost. just trying to decide if I should, and how long and how much work was involved in the swap. I'll be doing it with my dad so we'll be two. And I installed my turbo kit and all that so I am very knowledgeable and capable.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Like I said aside from a few bolts near the fire wall it was a piece of cake. But you need the right tools and have to be careful not to break clips. There's a lot of clips, that car is held together with clips and plug inserts. Take pictures has you disassemble to make sure you put everything back the way it was. We took the whole front off then you can work and not have to worry about scratching or punching the rad. 5 or 6 hours is all it took. We were 3, actually more like 2½ cuz Randy kinda slacked off.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Like I said aside from a few bolts near the fire wall it was a piece of cake. But you need the right tools and have to be careful not to break clips. There's a lot of clips, that car is held together with clips and plug inserts. Take pictures has you disassemble to make sure you put everything back the way it was. We took the whole front off then you can work and not have to worry about scratching or punching the rad. 5 or 6 hours is all it took. We were 3, actually more like 2½ cuz Randy kinda slacked off.
well I'd make 2 days available for the install, or one really long day. We did pretty well with the turbo build considering my dad only helped me the first day, it took me about a day and a half and we did run into small issues along the way.
There's probably a how-to on engine swap for cobalts on one of the forums. I know a couple of members have done it.

Just trying to decide if it's worth it to invest $400 on a second 2.2 engine, $800 on forged rods and pistons and another $400-500 on better head studs and valve springs to be able to run more boost. I would essentially have an almost new engine afterwards, it would probably make the car last quite a bit longer as well. hmmm what to do :p

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sorry teri2280 if this thread took a tangent. I know we are not helping you any here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Must be your good looks!!! :love:

Are you guys sure it's the chain? I mean it sounds like the chain, what kind of mileage? Did you do regular oil changes?
Not one hundred percent, but not much to go on with no codes. :-( She's got 68xxx miles. Oil changes every 3000 miles. It's been about a year since the last one, but I only drive about 12 miles a day, so she's just now due.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Sorry teri2280 if this thread took a tangent. I know we are not helping you any here.
No worries, will help me if it goes that far. From what I hear, that tensioner is a bitch to get to.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Sorry I haven't been on this for the past couple days, guys. On top of the car stuff I've got some medical stuff going on too. When it rains it pours!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'm affraid your right about changing the chain, almost as hard as changing the engine. It's not the most obvious place to work and you have to tear down the whole front of the engine and I mean all of it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh. That's probably the one buddy's shop that he works at during the day quoted it out at 1200. I'd love to get contact info on the owners. They never had it done, and I'm starting to get curious if they got it fixed. Lucky me, though, hubby has another friend who is really good friends with a recently former chevy wrench. I'd honestly rather have a chevy guy wrench on her than anyone else. (Yes, even my hubby lol.)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It's not tough work just a tough place to work in. No room.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the boys started her up tonight. Not good. She cranked (just cranked, because she was still tore apart), and it's NOT out of time. What the problem is, still not sure, but the guy who looked at it tonite is gonna get his stethoscope from work tomorrow and go from there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*Update*

Still no clue what's going on with the Balt, but the hubby and I leased a CRV today. Coby, I know you're not a big fan of those, but we got it at a price we couldn't refuse, and at least now we've got something reliable. With my misfire issues, I decided to rent a car from Enterprise a few weeks ago to go to Cincinnati for the weekend. (Needless to say, I'm glad I did. If I'd had these problems that weekend, I'd've been SCREWED.)

We're still planning on fixing the Balt, even if it does require a new engine, but the hubby can't keep putting off side jobs just because my car is sitting in the shop. It's not going to be an "in a few days" kinda fix, and we finally realized that.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
teri2280 my opinion on the CRV is irrelevant if you like the CRV. I on the otherhand tried, this afternoon, the Mitsubishi Outlander RVR GT(SPORT GT in USA). Just an amazing vehicle in ride and convenience. And looks!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha. Yeah, I know. I love them. Have for a long time, since the 1st. gen. :)

Umm, the hubby and I had a thought. The fact that my car ran absolutely FINE (well, as fine as has been normal lately) on my way to work has us stumped. IF someone were to put sugar or Karo syrup into the fuel (no locking gas cap for this girl), would it run like crap right as soon as the next start up, or would it take some time to get wherever it needs to? This might be a stretch, but I'd like an opinion before I ask the asset protection guy at work to review the videos from that day.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

I work at a local Walmart - anything is possible....LOL.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

And not just Karo syrup, either. Water, antifreeze, anything like that that could ruin an engine.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you check the gas. Syphon a cup full and evaporate the gas, if you have a syrupy solution left you know. If it practically all evaporates you know your gas is OK. Sugar or syrup, your car engine would have seized the engine and not necessarily run bad until it died. Sugar will crystalize and score cylinders. It might be a crank position sensor. Did you let it run long enough to get a "CODE".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heck no! I wasn't going to let that thing run longer than it needed to. It literally scared the crap out of me....Not sure what I thought would happen, but I had this feeling not to let it run too long. LOL. (Maybe a little paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.) And thanks for the evap. idea. Might have the hubby test it tomorrow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I talked to the AP guy at work today (didn't think I'd see him until Monday), and "supposedly" the only way he can review the parking lot videos is if he has a request from cops or an insurance company. I think it's total BS because I know he's reviewed interior videos before, but whatever. I'm gonna have the hubby cut the fuel tank straps and drop the tank, so we can at least see if there's anything in there. I'm sitting at a 1/4 of a tank of gas, so it should be no problem getting it out from underneath the car. Both tank straps together are under $20 bucks at GM parts direct, and I'm more than willing to "waste" the $20 to see if it's vandalism or not. Hubby said that if it was sugar or something, we'll need to replace everything from fuel delivery to the engine. That crap's not cheap, and if I can get out of it for a $500 deductible instead of $1500+, I'll take it. (And I'll make the insurance company replace the tank straps, too while I'm at it!)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes usually they need a police report first. My daughter had her cell stolen at the gym and they wouldn't look at the videos before they had a police report.

Don't need to drop the tank just insert a hose an syphon a cupfull. Let it evaporate or help it evaporate and U will see what remains.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.