Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i need to cool my 2.0 SC cobalt down... i know i am going to have troubles with over heating it will be robbing me of some nice power... so lets see if we can brain storm up some ideas on how to cool it down

this car has the 2.6" pulley on it so thats why it will be runnign so hot.

i already got meth injection
i was gonna heat wrap my cai
i am adding another heat exchanger

·
Registered
768 Posts
How about wrapping the header/exhaust mani.... I would think that would keep the engine bay temp down and that would help get cooler air to the CAI.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that could also work, but the main consern is that the sc when spining that fast will create hot air when it compresses it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Get a cryo kit. Hook it through the intake lines. Instant coolness!!! HAd it on my Civic and it drasticllay cooled t down. You could watch the gauge drop!!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
You could do a hood that would allow air to flow through the engine cooling the bay down. It's not going to help much with the air charge in the intake but it might help .1 degree or something. lol

You could also make your own ice box so that you could put ice bags around the intake to cool the charge. Obviously that's not a permanent type solution but at the track it works. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with the ice box at the track, that works really well. Idk about the Kryo kit? My friend had it on his SRT4 and he couldn't really notice a big difference. My friend has an intercooler sprayer on his turbo Integra but it's turbo'd not S/C.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well we could do an intercooler spray on yhe heat exchanger but my only worry is it could cool the liquid to much and freeze... or not i dont know haha

·
Registered
90 Posts
You could run dual Cobra style H/E and run each outlet of the dual pass through one.

I dont know if anyone makes a phenolic spacer for the supercharger-to-intake joint but that would reduce contact heat transfer from the blower to the manifold.

Header wrap, Vented hood as mentioned, anything you can do to lower underhood temps in general will help because it will force the intercooler to give off more of its heat to the atmosphere.

Get rid of your A/C condenser :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since the heat exchanger is an air-to-water intercooler basically, what about a coolant system additive, like Water Wetter. I don't know if that stuff is compatible with Dex-Cool though. Just throwing out an idea. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these are all good ideas guysm, keep them comin....

·
Registered
111 Posts
since you obviously have a good bit of cash to mod, how about lookin around to see if you can get a centrifugal sc. Heat is a huge problem with roots type sc's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How bout a cooler thermostat, I think they make a 160 degree? Could also duct the radiator down to the bottom of the engine bay to keep the hot air from blowing onto the manifold/blower. Or you could insulate the manifold/blower instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.