Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a problem with the mpg I am getting . The dealer tells me I am to get around 25 MPG .Have seen on GM's web site it is 29 MPG . But all I am getting is 16 MPG. Had it in for service and was told because there is ethanol in the gas I am using that is the reason for the low mpg. I don't see where that would make a big differance . I thing the dealer knows there is something wrong and dose not wont to fix it until the warranty is over.
If the 2009 Cobalt LT get's this bad mpg then Chevy better go back to rethinking the whole thing over.
I have a Mustang that is 26 years old and still get 32mpg.

·
Registered
496 Posts
got a 2.2L LS, and average like 30 w/ mostly city driving. what percent ethanol is in your gasoline? our cars arent built for stuff like E85. E10 tops. I believe thats what most gas is now anyways

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
I got like 27-30 in half stop and go, half freeway (but only like 5 miles of freeway at a time) in the summer, then like 23-25 in the winter, when I was stock.

·
Registered
496 Posts
same but more like 25-28 in town and low 30's highway
what engine do you have? cause with just a SRi, i was getting 38mpg at 70mph...mind you it was perfectly level road and i was maintaining a constant speed

·
Registered
720 Posts
I believe some of the 09's are E85 capable...if you have E85 in your tank and your car is capable of using it, then 16 (even though a little low still) isn't too far off....E85 isn't going to give the same kind of mileage that regular 87 will...there's a reason it's cheaper at the pump.

Did a little more research real quick...it looks to me that only the HHR has a E85 capable version of the LAP engine...it's listed as LE8. Unsure if they used these in the Cobalt's. I am thinking they didn't. OP, can you explain what the dealer was saying when they said Ethanol in the gas? Were they talking E85 or were they just saying Ethanol in the gas (because the latter is not uncommon for any gas).

Please come back and clarify a few things. Thanks.

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
right now mine is averaging about 33 (went on a little road trip this weekend). i usually get around 30-32 or so in country roads.

off topic:
quick question to all...does your MPG rise quickly or slowly? say like when you go on a road trip.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dealer gave me a paper that tell me where to buy the gas the car should use.
Top TIER Detergent Gasoline
This paper only tells me what gas companys sell this detergent gas. Dose not say anything about ethanol.
The Cobalt LT I have is 2.2LT L4 Automatic .
For there are hills around here that I need to drive each day so I went with the Automatic.
Was thinking of contacting GM but there web help site will not open on my computer. Seem like I can not get help even from the company.
The service person is the one that said that the ethanol was the problem. The gas I use in all my cars has 10% ethanol .
I have tried the super that runs through like water get around 175 miles per tank full , tried the plus that gave me 200 miles per tank full and now use the regular that gives 215 to 225 a tank full.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mine is an auto and if I floor it all day long i still average at least 22-23mpg...My normal driving is anywhere between 24 and 27mpg. With good driving I can see 30mpg.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.