Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll,
So, I have a 2009 Cobalt 2.2L with 141K miles. Right now I hear a low humming noise in the front end/engine compartment. The odd part is that you cant hear it idling in park or while revving the engine between 1k-3kRPMs. BUT you can hear it going down the road going about 30-50 MPH and the RPMs are all over the place after you hit the accelerator. I haven't done anything major to the car realistically. I keep up with all of my maintenance and have just now started to replace original parts.

I'll record a video when it's quiet enough to hear it.

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the sound ended up being the timing chain. I started it yesterday and the car started to sound like all of the others with the timing chain starting to go bad.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Did you ever post a video of the sound? And have you already taken it apart to see what went wrong. I assume one of the guides had broken and was rubbing metal on metal. Hopefully I don’t have to deal with it too soon on my car. Too bad the space is limited. Doing a chain is fairly easy otherwise.

·
Registered
2008 Chevy Cobalt Special Edition (2.2l) two door coupe
6 Posts
I have a 2008 Cobalt, and I have already priced the replacement with the dealer, for future planning. It’s listed as a 1.5 hour job, and they said that parts and labor for the tensioners, seals and such would be around $360. If I want to replace the chains, water pump and the tensioners, the cost would be around $1600. The GM water pump alone from the dealer is around $300, so I will probably get all the parts myself and pay them to do the labor.
BTW, tensioners wearing out on the Cobalt is a common problem after 100k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts