Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the 2008 Cobalt I bought had a headlight that is collecting moisture inside. There is actually a little puddle building at the bottom if you look closely. I got a new bulb put in, but it quickly blew out. So, the entire headlight needs to be replaced. There are two different types of lights for this car and of course, my came with the more expensive one. Mine is an "Amber" light, for which the dealer is charging $350. The other light was $150. Obviously, I don't want to pay $350 for a light if I can get it for less. Do you have any online stores you recommend. The typical auto part stores don't seem to carry them.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Check the local salvage yards, or you can try to seal it up. You should also check to see where it came from if you bought it used, or even new. It could have come from a flood area, or something else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up buying it from go-parts.com. It's been shipped, but FedEx says it won't get here until September 13. I paid $90 for it including shipping. I hope it's good.

The car was bought used in Orlando from a Saturn dealer. The original purchase was in Orlando as well. It was a rental car.

·
Registered
911 Posts
was it ur passenger side light? mine is filled with condensation too

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 and both of my headlights have condensation on them and both had 'puddles' of water in them as well, I drilled a hole in each headlight because I was told that it might help with it but all it did was get rid of the water. I'm also looking to buy new headlights and tail lights...I'm thinking either halo ones or something smoked or black? Any suggestions where I could be able to find any?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 2005 and both of my headlights have condensation on them and both had 'puddles' of water in them as well, I drilled a hole in each headlight because I was told that it might help with it but all it did was get rid of the water. I'm also looking to buy new headlights and tail lights...I'm thinking either halo ones or something smoked or black? Any suggestions where I could be able to find any?
Hope this is okay with the moderator's and vendors...

Chevy Cobalt Projector Headlights :: DashZRacing.com

The one's i'm looking at getting are at the very bottom of the page

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Pull the headlights out, shove a hair dryer in there and turn it on, should remove the condensation and moisture, then seal it up using silicone and put it all back together after it dries...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hope this is okay with the moderator's and vendors...

Chevy Cobalt Projector Headlights :: DashZRacing.com

The one's i'm looking at getting are at the very bottom of the page
thanks :) those are pretty BA and those are at a resonable price too. Do you have stock tail lights or are you putting smoked ones in? And, if you are what ones are you using?

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Pull the headlights out, shove a hair dryer in there and turn it on, should remove the condensation and moisture, then seal it up using silicone and put it all back together after it dries...
I'll try that until I get after market headlights. Any advice on how to get rid the greenish/yellow color the water made?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Is it on the inside? You could try following the instructions on how to paint your lights (just to get the lenses off), and clean them from the inside.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Run silicone around the seals let it harden. Then put it in your oven. at 250 for about 15 min. Make sure to use a pizza stone to set it on just so it didnt leave any makes form the metal rack. I did this to a eclipse and and ion. They never fogged again.
I have heard on people doing a hair dryer the seal. Idk it it will work for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I got the part for $90 after shipping and installed it myself thanks to a YouTube video I found.

Unfortunately, I realized that the turning signal cone thing is yellow/orange while the OEM is clear. The lens is also a little darker too. It works well though. But, I am going to have to eventually replace the driver's side so they match. When noticing at least the lens difference before I installed it, my thought process was "well, if I sent this back and then went to that other website, I would have paid $215 for the 'correct' light, and just buying a matching drivers side from the same company would make the total replacement only $180."

Only after I installed the light, voiding my return rights, and tossing the old light and the box in the dumpster did I go on eBay and see that I could have gotten the "correct" light for $50 after shipping as opposed to this one for $90 after shipping. Ugh. Oh well... I think I originally steered away from eBay on this purchase because I wanted to make sure the parts would actually be good.

Go-Parts.com has a lifetime warranty. Hopefully this Dot Com will still be around if something goes wrong in the future...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.