Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the original headlight assemblies (housings) in my kids 2007 LT... I have heard that some of the aftermarket ones are crappy. Question is: Which ones should I avoid? I've heard of Depo, Eagle Eyes, Dorman...
I'm looking for experienced answers. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doorman is fine. I had 2 year old doorman lights in my cobalt that still looked new before it was totaled. If you want oem lights get AC Delco. They cost more but from what I could tell comparing the 2 in person, there wasnt much of a difference in overall quality of plastic, hardware, sealant, and lens. At the very least AC Delco should last 3-5 years with some care.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Check the prices on line and comparing total delivery price. Places such as Rockauto or gmparts can be quite good.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know this is old. But I have found the main difference is the reflector. Comparing the OEM lamp, the reflector creates a much better beam.

My car has one AC Delco unit, and one TYC unit. Looking closely I can see the reflector ribs are tighter and there are more ribs on the OEM. The TYC has the less ribs and are wider spaced. This is just comparing these two lamps. The AC Delco was an original CAPA replacement. The TYC appears to be a lower grade model.

I’m not even sure if all CAPA rated lamps are the same though. But different ratings will be of higher or lower quality.

Let me just tell you that the TYC headlight’s beam sucks. It has a hot spot that’s very bright, but lacks side illumination. It also has dark spots in the middle of the hot spot and a lot of upward glare.

I am debating on getting the GM Performance projector assemblies or just getting a set of GM standard reflector lamps. They are ok for now, but the lights on my car are getting old and even polished up, they lack performance.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I know this is old. But I have found the main difference is the reflector. Comparing the OEM lamp, the reflector creates a much better beam.

My car has one AC Delco unit, and one TYC unit. Looking closely I can see the reflector ribs are tighter and there are more ribs on the OEM. The TYC has the less ribs and are wider spaced. This is just comparing these two lamps. The AC Delco was an original CAPA replacement. The TYC appears to be a lower grade model.

I’m not even sure if all CAPA rated lamps are the same though. But different ratings will be of higher or lower quality.

Let me just tell you that the TYC headlight’s beam sucks. It has a hot spot that’s very bright, but lacks side illumination. It also has dark spots in the middle of the hot spot and a lot of upward glare.

I am debating on getting the GM Performance projector assemblies or just getting a set of GM standard reflector lamps. They are ok for now, but the lights on my car are getting old and even polished up, they lack performance.
What GM Performance projectors are you looking at? Have you considered building retros where you take the light apart and rebuild it with a projector lens? Also gives you the ability to customize your build and colors.

As to the orginal post, Depo is not bad alternative to stock, although it seems none the lenses stay as clear on the headlight like the OEM lenses do.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes, I had thought about just doing a bi-xenon projector instead. But in brand new lamp assemblies so I start with clean internal parts and lens. Are the GM projectors not too good? I would probably install hids into them, probably a Morimoto kit. I know that the leds kind of suck in projectors. I already have leds from Hikari in my reflector units. At least looks better than the cheaper bulbs people run. Kind of similar to the Ford Explorer headlights in output and color. I have them aimed lower to reduce glare.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have not seen any GM Performance Projectors, do you have a link? Most people I have seen doing retros buy kits from theretrofitsource.com, but they are also putting $600 to $700 in to some of the mid level builds. I have seen a few people do a quad projector build, where the lows and highs are both in projector housings, and build cost of the lights gets over $1k. Either way budget build retrofitted projectors with HIDs are still usually better then the stock reflector housings.

·
Registered
239 Posts
These are what come up with the part number the seller has listed. I am skeptical because I believe Depo made a set like this, and possibly other Chinese companies. But it does have a GM part number that says these are GMPP projectors. Who knows. The price is tempting but I don’t want to get a set of regular reflector lights if thats really what they’re selling. Says they are projectors though. GM2505130 is the parts link number for the pair of lights. Btw pic is not from actual seller.
823D5EDB-3D24-42E7-AA7B-9293FD0DECA9.jpeg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I can't recall GMPP ever releasing headlights. I Had depo projector headlights and they looked very similar and were pretty decent for the price, they were about 180 for the set. I had them with the black housing, you can check out my old thread to see some pictures of them. Blu3_V1p3r / 2009 Imperial Blue Metallic SS/TC Sedan /...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts