Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC 10,000 miles, upgrades are Gm exhaust and a injen CAI. Im looking for more power.. So i was looking into the stage 1, stage 2 upgrade. also was looking at a full system vibrant exhaust. what i was wondering was if i decide to go with a stage 1, stage 2 upgrade. what all am i gonna have to upgrade as in clutch,axles..ect. any suggestions would help thank you

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
First off welcome to YC.com!

Second you got some dang low miles for such an old car. How is that possible?!

To answer your questions is lengthy and very detailed, but we will try. What kind of power gains are you looking for? Your axles really cant handle too much more power than you are already making so my first suggestion if you do plan on upgrading the engine is to improve suspension. Springs, bushings, mounts, etc. Next, you will be wanting to upgrade your exhaust, Vibrant is a good product, also check into badmab at zzp.com. Next would be stage 2 clutch and flywheel. Finally you will want to delve into the engine. For the money I would jump right to stage 2 or 3 to be honest. Larger injectors, smaller pulley, tighter belt, better heat exchanger, etc.

My personal opinion on the route you should take, lets see what others say! Remember though, all of these upgrades will make it more difficult to daily drive so take that into consideration when you get the higher stage clutch and maybe a rear sway bar, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes 10,000 miles is low for a 2007 just bought the car last saturday off of a local dealer. thank you for some insite of different parts and help. also not planning to run it year around only looking to run it may-aug. Just wanna get good power w/o breaking it everytime i take it out.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You will be impressed with the beating these cars can take. As you decide what to upgrade we are a great resource for different products that are available and feedback on their performance and wear. I say this only to save my fingers from typing you a how to book in this thread!

·
Registered
563 Posts
wow 10k?? super jelous haha

·
Registered
584 Posts
yes 10,000 miles is low for a 2007 just bought the car last saturday off of a local dealer. thank you for some insite of different parts and help. also not planning to run it year around only looking to run it may-aug. Just wanna get good power w/o breaking it everytime i take it out.
If you want the most bang for your buck, turbo swap it.
Since it isn't a year round car you should have no problem with anything breaking on it.
:D

And like someone said above my post, you will be surprised how much this engine can handle.
Mines been to hell and back.

[Insert signature here]

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Wow, wish i still had 10k. Lol
But there are many factors involved with your quesrion. First is how much money are you willing to spend(including supporting modifications)? Next is how much more power and for what reason? And then i would ask myself is it worth it? But these lil 2.2's can be beastly for I4 econoboxes. Thank goodness for European engineering.
Btw, I love my lil N/A econobox!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
^ 2.0 sc not 2.2 NA

Go with a new sc pulley, injectors and tune. Will make a big difference

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think im gonna go with the stage 2 package from Gm and thats it. i still wanna be able to drive it everyday in the summer without blowing stuff apart everytime i take it out

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You only have 10k on the ticker, I would be impressed if you blew anything up with aftermarket. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.