Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having intermittent problems with my '07 Cobalt which has less than 60,000 miles on it. Car won't start sometimes unless I turn the key to ACC a few times for ten minutes or so and then it will start. Twice I parked my car at work, removed the key and the car kept running. Northing I tried would help until I drove it around for a bit and then it would turn off. My brother removed the fuses under the hood and put them back in and I didn't have any problems for a month and then today my car wouldn't start again. My son says I should get a new car and I can't/don't want to do that yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Joanne

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like you may have a bad ignition switch. Was the recall done?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recall was done. Should I get the ignition switch replaced again? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Check engine light recently came on. Car showed one code, sensor after catalytic converter needs replaced.

·
Registered
949 Posts
That particular code shouldn't keep it from starting, but it's also an inexpensive and easy fix to replace the O2 sensor, so you should think about doing that yourself. Any other codes, or was that the only one?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well the dealer would not have changed the switch, just the ignition barrel. One guy on here said he had the same problem and in his case changing the ignition switch worked for him. The switch is on the end of the ignition barrel. Easy to replace.

Reactions: jodeutsch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting. I was under the assumption the first recall was the ignition switch and then later they added the barrel to it. I just read 2005-2007 Cobal's ignition switch was recalled in 2014 (long after I had "whatever" done). I'm really confused now. I could have sworn my ignition switch was replaced and I know I got a new key at the time. I'm pretty sure I have the original paperwork but can't access it right now since I am at work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Need help again. So frustrated. I had the ignition switch replaced while getting my car inspected. My 07 cobalt (58,000 miles) seemed fine afterwards. It sat over the weekend and when I went to start it for work yesterday......same issues. Could start it after a bit with turning key to acc for 10 minutes a few times. When I got to work, turned the key off and pulled it out and my car kept running. I called a different dealer and they are talking about replacing the ignition barrel. I need your input about what is really the problem and what needs to be done. I'm sure the dealers have dealt with this problem many times I would think?? I'm not going back to that dealer because they lied to me about several things and they charged me more than I make in a month. I should have walked out before they worked on my car but was desperate to get the car repaired before winter. I also had the oxygen sensor replaced even though the check engine light never came on again. That was probably a fluke due to the intermittent electrical problems. (Female who knows nothing about cars and don't want to be a PITA to my son or brothers who have very busy lives). Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well only possible thing left is BCM. It's the module on the passenger side of the centre console with the fuses. It receives the signal from the key and then decides if all criteria are met for it to start or shut down the car . Have your son reseat the 2 blue/grey connectors a few times to clean any possible corrosion build-up.

Maybe I should have mentioned that you didn't have to take it to the dealer to get the ignition switch changed or the HO². Any local mom/pop garage could have done this way cheaper, sorry!

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
If pulling all the fuses helped, temporarily at least, thats kinda pointing me towards your bcm. If it was an issue with your ignition switch I don't think pulling fuses and relays would remedy that at all. Just my 2 cents tho

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.