Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at building a new car, the cobalt is fabulous, but its not a power driving vehicle. So I am going to be shopping in the fall time of next year for a project race car. My main motive is the Nismo Edition 350Z, but removing the hideous front bumper they carry and replacing it with a Veilside Gen 2 front bumper, simple and clean.

Here are the future mods for 2014-2015 for it:

-Vortech 2 Supercharger kit
-Nismo Headers
-Rob Millen (Stillen) downpipes
-M2 Dual catback exhaust by NVidia
-Jim Wolf Exhaust Cams (.060" Lobe/Lift)
-Exedy Dual Clutch
-Apexi N1 Coilovers
-upgraded wheels
and a few other tricks, but with just this setup and a Jim Wolf Flash ECU, should already hit 480hp without touching the bottom end at 9psi. Since it has VVEL integrated, the intake cams are non changeable. For those who don't know VVEL works off the intake cam with cam phase and Position sensors to increase power and torque through a hollow camshaft.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
WOOWOO!! All that for about 350whp max lol. JP, not bad, I'm just not a fan of the 350/370z's. They aren't as impressive as I thought they would be. But the Nismo ones look cool lol.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Like I said, they look good tho! All show and no go!

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Looking at building a new car, the cobalt is fabulous, but its not a power driving vehicle. So I am going to be shopping in the fall time of next year for a project race car. My main motive is the Nismo Edition 350Z, but removing the hideous front bumper they carry and replacing it with a Veilside Gen 2 front bumper, simple and clean.

Here are the future mods for 2014-2015 for it:

-Vortech 2 Supercharger kit
-Nismo Headers
-Rob Millen (Stillen) downpipes
-M2 Dual catback exhaust by NVidia
-Jim Wolf Exhaust Cams (.060" Lobe/Lift)
-Exedy Dual Clutch
-Apexi N1 Coilovers
-upgraded wheels
and a few other tricks, but with just this setup and a Jim Wolf Flash ECU, should already hit 480hp without touching the bottom end at 9psi. Since it has VVEL integrated, the intake cams are non changeable. For those who don't know VVEL works off the intake cam with cam phase and Position sensors to increase power and torque through a hollow camshaft.
Very ambitious, I'll give you that much. I don't trust a Nissan as far as I can throw one, but it does sound like it can really move. Good luck bud.

Parts named after people are funny though.

·
Registered
353 Posts
the cobalt is fabulous, but its not a power driving vehicle.
lol
If you weren't so damn far away I'd invite you to a track day with me and change your mind forever :)
Most Z's I see at my local road track are nice moving chicanes. Of course there was that one that was closing in fast on a McLaren MP4-12C that I was able to keep behind me for a full lap...
Every car can be made fast. But the Cobalt TC was bred for the track. Not many cars in that price range are. Just sayin'... ;-)

That said, good luck with the build!

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
miata - turbo it and some suspension upgrades.... boom, fast car for the lack of power since you are not moving a a phuq ton and eats the corners and asks for more haha.
Bias opinion perhaps? lol, the Miata my have a girly reputation but it defiantly has the go to back it up. Look for a Mazdaspeed (2004-2005) if you're going that route.

As for me, if I were to build a purpose track car, I'd go with an E46 BMW 330i ZHP. They're alot of fun for not alot of money, and you have no FI to worry about. The M3 is even better but you're looking at near double the price.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Here is a mean 350z:

350z super car V8 one of a kind Video in ad

Bias opinion perhaps? lol, the Miata my have a girly reputation but it defiantly has the go to back it up. Look for a Mazdaspeed (2004-2005) if you're going that route.

As for me, if I were to build a purpose track car, I'd go with an E46 BMW 330i ZHP. They're alot of fun for not alot of money, and you have no FI to worry about. The M3 is even better but you're looking at near double the price.
Definitely a MS Miata, or any mazda for that matter. MS's are much better.

However the E46 330i is not a bad car for the price, can get much better cars for cheaper tho. And the M3, I haven't been impressed by the M3 since the 135i blew it out of the water for 1/2 the price. M3 are a joke to me.:notrust:

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
The mazdaspeed may be better but you can take a regular NB and make good power, more than a stock MS(180). But a MS is a good start as the stuff is all there, but would need to build the motor after a certain amount. And bias opinion, no, fact. There is a reason why the Miata is the most raced car. Easy to work on, easy to track because its a good car out of the gate and most important, cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Ah, the age old debate, Euro vs. JDM...

The Bimmer is no powerhouse, you couldn't use it to steamroll over other cars on the straights, but I've driven one, and the responsiveness I felt is like nothing I've ever experienced. Brakes are phenomenal, grip is unreal. It was built to eat corners, a quality you can learn to appreciate on a track, and for sub 15k, it's hard to go wrong with that. For a Japanese car, I'd take a hard look at an S2000 CS. Similar power but you gotta rev high to reach it and it's a little pricier. I've never driven one but it looks like a hoot, and a serious track machine.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I have a few friends with S2ks, and they are decent tho. I wouldn't buy one, but they are a lot like the miata for corners.

I guess driving opinions differ for everyone on good cars, lol. I don't like bimmers because they take ALL the fun out of driving, as well as all the skill needed. Guess I'm an "old school" racer where it was a drivers race, not a cars engineering race. Oh well :)

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I'm right there with you and your 'old school' racing mentality. Doing a quick lap in a car that practically did all the driving for you means nothing, putting up a similar time in a car you had to wrestle with to keep on the pavement, that's worth something. Unfortunately, I can't make the claim of having much experience with go-fast cars or tracking for that matter. But in the few years I've taken driving seriously, the Bimmer would probably be the best driver's car I've ever beaten, with the '01 S4 coming a close second and a Sabb 9-2x Aero third. For a FWD (non SS) the few days I had with an '06 Civic SI was really fun, easier to live with as a DD I'm sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.