Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just recently got a silver 2010 Cobalt XFE, base model, no power windows, locks, manual transmission, fabric seats. It's my first car and I'm more than happy with it. I was wondering if the cobalt had any strong following in 3rd party upgrading and modding, which is what led me to stumble on this forum. I took a look around and I totally shat bricks when i saw some pictures of the cobalts here.. totally jaw dropping.
I have almost no hands-on experience with modding cars (although ive built a fair share of desktops). I was wondering if there is a general progression of upgrades that most people usually go through to get to that "dream car" stage. For instance HID headlights first > rims > spoiler > body kit. Stuff like that so I could get a nice foothold on where to start working. I'm totally open to all suggestions.
Also i was wondering if theres a go-to place for buying cobalt parts... like a newegg.com for cobalts instead of computers. thanks everyone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for parts, check out our vendors, what do you want to make it your dream car? you want appearence, power, what?
Where do i go to see the vendors? Appearance first, then I'll think about power. Driving it around this morning reminded me that i had more than enough power... for now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so ive looked through a bunch of pictures of cobalts on this site and have compiled a pretty crude list of parts/modifications that i would like to start off with.
spoiler, lowering springs, halo projector headlights, LED tailights, rims.
also i was wondering if hid foglights were possible on the stock 2010 xfe body? it doesnt seem like the front bumper has any cutout for it. if thats so, then ill probably also shell out for a front bumper replacement.

any suggestions/advice?

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
so ive looked through a bunch of pictures of cobalts on this site and have compiled a pretty crude list of parts/modifications that i would like to start off with.
also i was wondering if hid foglights were possible on the stock 2010 xfe body? it doesnt seem like the front bumper has any cutout for it. if thats so, then ill probably also shell out for a front bumper replacement.

any suggestions/advice?
for halo lights, buy from ebay and there are different styles just search generations of projectors
for lowering springs, there are a bunch depends how much lower you wanna go
schram auto sells stock spoilers i believe, on the main forum page our vendors are listed
led taillights check ebay-i sell led taillights for the inner lights however
for a new bumper i suggest the SS bumper or buy an aftermarket zen bumper from me

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

any suggestions/advice?
welcome! you've got a good starter list. and basically people mod as money and parts come along, so there's not really any true 'path' to getting your car into 'dream car' shape.

we have a sticky that lists ideas for mods that are under $100

also, there have been some people who have cut out holes in their bumpers for foglights, and some who have mounted them underneath their front bumper as well, so search around and you'll get an idea for those. imo tho it's best to just go with the SS bumper if you want foglights, as looks-wise it just looks cleaner.

camo mentioned above how depending on how much you want to lower it will determine the brand of lowering springs (not to mention it's worth looking into which ones people are most pleased with). some examples would be:

- SS/SC springs = .5" drop all around
- Tenzo R springs = 2" front, 2.5" rear
- Eibach Sportlines = 2" front, 2.5" rear
- Eibach Pro = 1" front, 1.6" rear

hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how much do you suppose this would all cost in the long run, including labor for the body shop installations? can most of these be installed in my own garage or do you recommend they be installed by professionals? haha, sorry for the questions, im pretty new to this stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.