Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm Mike, I don't own a Cobalt, but my mother just bought one and I maintain her cars. So figured I join up on the forum and see what's going on with the cars. So far today her air bag light came on today, and I read the thread in the recal section.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
welcome to the site mike! glad to see it helped you out already. since you do the maintenance for her, there is a couple other things to look out for.
1. the stock brake rotors suck. so a swap there will be eventually needed. they "warp" really easy. regardless of driving tendencies.
2. there is a tendency for the intermediate steering shaft to go bad. it feels like a bad cv joint. kind of a bump in the steering column when you turn at parking speeds. and a lot of dealership techs think its the cv joint. so if it happens and they say its ok, have them check the intermediate shaft.
other than that i havent heard of a lot of issues. ive had my cobalt since nov. 06 and it has treated me REALLY well. welcome your mom to the cobalt community for me.:bigsmile: what model, color, etc. did she get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome all.

welcome to the site mike! glad to see it helped you out already. since you do the maintenance for her, there is a couple other things to look out for.
1. the stock brake rotors suck. so a swap there will be eventually needed. they "warp" really easy. regardless of driving tendencies.
2. there is a tendency for the intermediate steering shaft to go bad. it feels like a bad cv joint. kind of a bump in the steering column when you turn at parking speeds. and a lot of dealership techs think its the cv joint. so if it happens and they say its ok, have them check the intermediate shaft.
other than that i havent heard of a lot of issues. ive had my cobalt since nov. 06 and it has treated me REALLY well. welcome your mom to the cobalt community for me.:bigsmile: what model, color, etc. did she get?
Seems warped rotors are the norm in the industry now. Her G6 had 2 warped, my '04 Wrangler had 2 also, and a co-workers brand new Honda at 1 warp.

Thanks for the heads up about the brakes and steering shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.