Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Cobalt owners; I purchased a 2005 LS for my son to drive yesterday. Pretty clean car but it's got some miles on it. 166,000 and I gave a whopping 2500 dollars for it... Everything works, but it was sold with a CEL for the P0036 code (HO2 - bad heater) so, I'll be swapping the HO2 out and it should reset the CEL.

Really doesn't need anything else. Had new struts/shocks @ 130K, just had new tires installed. Clean interior and was owned by a non-smoker.

Hope to learn a few things here. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so getting my hands dirty on this will be (should be) easy...

I did a little searching and I'm contemplating changing the chain tensioner, but it's quiet right now, so perhaps leave it until it starts to make noise?

Only other thing I need to look at is some oil residue on the valve cover, which could be the PCV valve not doing it's job. Why GM thought it was a good idea to integrate the PCV valve into the cover, I'll never understand. Cheaper and easier to produce I suppose..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey, welcome!!! I'm just up the road from you near PortWashington!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, welcome!!! I'm just up the road from you near PortWashington!
Thanks very much Thogan. I swapped out the tensioner, and overall it seems like a pretty easy car to work on. I got that HO2 sensor in the mail yesterday, so I'll tackle that this afternoon with my son. I'm hoping that this takes care of the problem. It should anyway...

I also noticed that the right rear window makes a lot of wind noise, so I pulled the seal back and ran a bead of black RTV around the edge of the seal. It seems to have helped some, but it still makes a little noise..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks very much Thogan. I swapped out the tensioner, and overall it seems like a pretty easy car to work on. I got that HO2 sensor in the mail yesterday, so I'll tackle that this afternoon with my son. I'm hoping that this takes care of the problem. It should anyway...

I also noticed that the right rear window makes a lot of wind noise, so I pulled the seal back and ran a bead of black RTV around the edge of the seal. It seems to have helped some, but it still makes a little noise..
Some things are easy, and some things are damn near impossible :laugh: but with enough alcohol and cursing, anything is possible!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.