Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevrolet Corvette SS info

Remember the ‘Blue Devil’ rumors? That project is still on, under the name Corvette SS. The mother of all Corvettes will be powered by a supercharged version of the upcoming 6.2L LS3 Small-Block V8. The Supercharger is said to be integrated into the manifold like the 4.4L Northstar. Power ratings will be at about 650 HP, and this car is said to break tons of performance records...for nearly a fraction of the cost of anything close to it's performance capabilities. Expected release date is for the 2009 model year.

·
Registered
284 Posts
:::correction:::
it is the Corvette ZR1, it went though a bunch of weight reduction (most pannels are now carbon fiber, and lighter supports. the engine is a 6.2 liter but it is not a LS3 its the LS9 (it has the smae liters as the LS3 but it is built up way more...) it does have a new design by eaton that is very interesting... it is planned to have over 620 bhp but they do not have a specific number yet. 19" wheels in front and 20" wheels in the back... body looks similar to the new zo6 but is has some differances.... for aero and down force. bigger brakes.... the hood will have a clear section on it to show the supercharger.... and it is planned to be 100,000 USD.

GM saw what they could do with a $60,000 car (corvette ZO6) that could beat a lot of 6 digit cost super cars... and wanted to see what they could do with a $100,000 car. it is said to beat porcshes, Ferraris, lambos, and almost any other 12 cylinder super car you throw at it. will also beat the new skyline... no problem ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
we are a big vette family and follow up alot on vette news. my dad is looking to get this new vette, as soon as they are taking orders he will be setting his up... we are a part of a big nation wide vette club and for the midwest sector we are pretty high up... not being a dick but i am 99-100% sure my info is correct.... i even have some pics from a site that we have a log in to of the new vette (ZR1)

here....

·
Registered
284 Posts
the ZR1 name was broughr back from the early 90s ZR1 which beleive it or not was one of the faster vettes.... it would take a c-5 vette any day , and put tp a good fight to a c-5 zo6 and a c-6 base coupe. it had a 4 cam lotus built motor in it. GM teamed with lotus on that car

·
Registered
284 Posts
i will see if i can dig and find the production date.... my dad might know...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thats what I love about the Vette...they never make it look like something from space. It's still kept its sleek sex sports car design. They never tried to make it look like something it's not. But yet they are always impressive with their work...it's like a beautiful peice of art. yet has the engine to send you to space. :p

·
Registered
673 Posts
I don't know why but I'm just not feeling it. It seems like too much to me. (did I just say that?) I honestly think I like the plain old Z06 better. I suppose that makes me unAmerican but when the Vette costs 100k I get real uninterested. It kind of goes against what the Vette has been.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i c your point but i c there point.... u can still buythe base coupe, 50k, the z51 55k or the ZO6 60kish... but now you can buy a supercar (that looks like the zo6 just tastefully upgraded for 100k.... and get the looks power and luxury of a 200kplus! car....

·
Registered
284 Posts
i bet the car will be alomst to fast for its own good the c6 zo6 was almos tto fast.... i drove one and i have ridden in one.... they scare the shit out of me... a street car that runs a 11.5 in the 1/4 mile (proven time by motor trend in 2005).... and has around 505 hp.... and this new one will be most likely lighter (although the super charger and motor will weight more, it might balance out to be the same with all the weight reduction) but it will have way more then 100 WHP over the last one.... it almost doesnt seem safe or legal.... with a regular drivers license

·
Registered
673 Posts
i c your point but i c there point.... u can still buythe base coupe, 50k, the z51 55k or the ZO6 60kish... but now you can buy a supercar (that looks like the zo6 just tastefully upgraded for 100k.... and get the looks power and luxury of a 200kplus! car....
We'll see about the luxury, but the power is certainly on par with basically anything that isn't a hypercar and some hyper cars. I doubt GMs ability to put much luxury goodies in any car for any price, but especially a Corvette with all that performance. If you want luxury and speed I'd say your better off getting an Audi R8 or Merc SL 63 or 55 AMG. For just speed though I'm sure the Zr1 is your best bet.

BTW the Zr1 uses the same active magnetic suspension damping as the Ferrari 599. It's delphis system and it's impressive.

·
Registered
673 Posts
i bet the car will be alomst to fast for its own good the c6 zo6 was almos tto fast.... i drove one and i have ridden in one.... they scare the shit out of me... a street car that runs a 11.5 in the 1/4 mile (proven time by motor trend in 2005).... and has around 505 hp.... and this new one will be most likely lighter (although the super charger and motor will weight more, it might balance out to be the same with all the weight reduction) but it will have way more then 100 WHP over the last one.... it almost doesnt seem safe or legal.... with a regular drivers license
Yeah, but that's what makes it cool. lol

The SL65 Benz I drove had 738 ft-lbs of torque and honestly it was scary to drive it, but the whole time I was thinking "THIS IS THE COOLEST CAR EVER!" Any car that has the same torque as seven Hondas is awesome. lol I think the Vette will be the same level of insanity, and it will be good.

·
Registered
673 Posts
650hp! holy crap! I need to win the lottery. lol. So is this like the most expensive model you can get then? The vette's have always been some good eye candy for me.
If you win enough...slip 100k my way so I can get one too...lol
or you can both just wait five years and pick one up for 30k. lol Vettes do not hold their value well.

M

·
0 Posts
nice power but...

i see the same cheap interior panels and steering wheel from the cobalt :( :( :(

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.