Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was a perfect day out, and since I haven't really done anything new to my car in awhile, I decided to paint my motor mount, valve cover, and throttle body. I think they came out pretty good, and look great against the carbon fiber engine covers. Let me know what you guys think.

AFter getting all that finished, I decided that it would be a good time to add some neons to the engine bay as well. Let me know what ya think.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Alittle sanding and paint can really go a long way, Very Nice! neons are a great touch.

·
Registered
594 Posts
hey thats pretty neat actually with the neon lights specially if you need to see in the dark when you break down or if you're working on your car real late.Did you use regular paint?I wouldn't mind doing that since I drive a yellow cobalt actually,if possible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i was gonna try to polish my vavle cover to a mirror finsh is that actully possiable? i could use mother aluminum polish with a power ball right?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you remove the valve cover? and if so was there gaskets that you had to replace in doing so?
Yes, I removed all of the stuff to paint them. There is a gasket under the valve cover, but if you're careful when removing it, it can be reused. The hardest part to remove was the motor mount. Had to jack the car up, put jack stands under the motor to support the weight, then take the motor mount out.

i was gonna try to polish my vavle cover to a mirror finsh is that actully possiable? i could use mother aluminum polish with a power ball right?
Yes, it can be polished, but it takes more work than what you mentioned. There's a lot of sanding that needs to be done as well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was it professionally painted? If it's Home Depot spray paint then it's going to come off if you ding it with a wrench.
I painted it with paint from Pep Boys that was made for the engine. I've used the same paint on both my previous cars and have never had a problem with it. It's all in making sure that it's prepped correctly. If you look at other pics of my car, especially the interior, you'll see that I have a lot of expirience with painting

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
That looks SICK!!!! I like the neons.

Hes right it takes time to do it right. I spent about a half hour with the polish one night after work when i wasn't busy. It cleaned it up and definitely helped the looks but still very very far from show quality.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
159 Posts
I polished mine...and it looks really good. I used the clay bar and a buffing wheel on the grinder. It took me about 2hrs and then I used the dremmel to get into the hard places and that took another 45mins. Then I used 3M 3000grit liquid sand paper and put it back on the buffing wheel for a final finished...then hit it with high temp engine clear so I don't have to polish it again...all in all I think it looks good. I'll have to post pics up on here...well I think I need to take the pics first. LoL!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Wow thats a lot of neon lighting you got there. The motor bay looks very clean though. Good work as usual

·
Registered
27 Posts
looks clean and sexy...I like it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Teh Sex!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.