Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I own a '06 cobalt LS (yeah crappy one), my cousin was in town and needed to drive somewhere, so i told him alright take my car.

He goes on the highway and a pickup truck cover flies off in front of him and he runs over it. About 10 mins later the temp. light comes on...and he continues driving :notrust:. Needless to say the engine overheats and he comes to a stop (the pickup truck cover ruined the radiator).

It gets towed to a shop and bad news; the engine is gone, 25, 0, 10, and 50 psi in the cylinders. So now i need a new engine, the shop gave me a quote @ $3180 for the new engine and install (not sure if they included the radiator fix in it). Personally I have no idea how much I should be paying for a new engine, but I figure someone on here might (It's a L4 2.2L 134ci 2)?

Thnx for reading

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad luck, but he really should've stopped when warning lights are going off..... anyways what's done is done.

Engine prices can vary GREATLY, depening on where are you getting it from, the mileage the year etc....

for example a quick search on eBay yielded:

ENGINE / MOTOR 07 08 Cobalt HHR Malibu G5 Ion 2.2 Liter on eBay.ca (item 110579974511 end time 29-Sep-10 10:31:02 EDT)

DO NOT USE THIS LINK, SEE BELOW FOR THE RIGHT SITE
You can also try Car Parts, Truck Parts, Auto Accessories: Just Great Parts Cheap at CarParts.com and search your local.

Your best bet it looking for it on the aboved mentioned website and try to find one that has the least mileage on it. Good luck.

3K$ for an engine+install, he's not ripping you off, but doesn't mean you can't do it for cheaper.

Also if you're into modding, this is your best chance to get a 2.4L or even a supercharged SS. If you goto the wreck yards then, might I suggest getting the ECU along with it too!

good luck

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
And this is why the only other person who drives my car is my dad...

Sorry to hear dude. $3k sounds about right.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Yeah, really depending on what went wrong with it (blew a head gasket I'd assume?), it can be fixed without the need for a new engine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
depending on how hot and long it was driven, aluminum blocks don't tend to do so well under these situations.

Pure aluminum melts away at 660C and aluminum alloys at around 1000C. Combustion occurs at 2000C, without coolant, it won't do too well. Let alone thermal shock and resultant gradient to the block.

I'm sure there are micro fractures everywhere. I wouldn't ever use a engine like that even after you make it geometrically sound and replace the gaskets.,

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Yep, aluminum is real easy to **** up.

We drove an hour down to BFE in Monroe to look at a set of AFR heads for my Little B's fox body. The guy said they were on an engine that blew up but the heads were fine. Perfect, even.

Oh my how that was a lie...there were ****ing CHUNKS of metal in all the combustion chambers from detonation. He kept trying to tell us that they're fine, and he ran those heads (in THAT condition) on another engine and it was fine!

Umm, yeah, thanks for wasting half the day, *******, they're complete junk.

His girlfriend was hot a hell though, oh my god.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I was considering just repairing the engine. But after doing some research I came up w/ what stevie said.

But since I'm getting a new engine would it be worth it to get the 2.4L or supercharged one? Are there any complications associated with it (bigger engines produce more heat, etc)?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah I was considering just repairing the engine. But after doing some research I came up w/ what stevie said.

But since I'm getting a new engine would it be worth it to get the 2.4L or supercharged one? Are there any complications associated with it (bigger engines produce more heat, etc)?
there's a question that's going to raise chapters of answers. Your best bet is to find a complete donor car in a wreck yard and buy whatever you need and go back to it if necessary.

The 2.4L should be pretty easy, essentially the same engine but with larger cylinders.

Supercharged, haven't done it myself but I'm sure the other members of this community namely MP81 can answer your question.

Don't forget whatever it is that you do, you'll need the ECU.

good luck

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Are you auto or manual? I don't know how well an LSJ would work with an F23 (5-speed) or if it would even work at all with an auto...

2.4 would bolt right in, and you wouldn't even need a new harness, just a different ECU.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.